By Stephanie Zacharek
By Simon Abrams
By Michelle Orange
By Alan Scherstuhl
By Nick Schager
By Amy Nicholson
By The Invisible Woman
By I Used to Be Darker
3. Boogie Nights. Rootless Seventies porn stars yearn for home and hearth -- and revive surrogate dad Burt Reynolds's career.
4. Ulee's Gold. Unappreciated Peter Fonda shines as a quiet beekeeper facing hard choices.
6. Shall We Dance? Miracle afoot: A Japanese drone is reborn when he learns the fox-trot.
7. Amistad. Forget the controversies. Spielberg's take on slavery and freedom is stirring.
8. The Sweet Hereafter. Ambitious Canadiam Atom Egoyan tackles grief and redemption in tale of a bus crash, the townspeople and a lawyer.
9. Donnie Brasco. Pacino and Depp make a great folie a deux as low-rent mobster and undercover cop.
10. Face/Off. The cleverest of the high-tech action pix, with Travolta and Cage in switcheroo roles.
10 Worst Movies of 1997
1. Speed 2: Cruise Control. The tedious sequel, on an ocean liner now, remains strictly in low gear.
2. The Postman. Dim egotist Kevin Costner remakes disastrous Waterworld on dry land.
5. Titanic. Two hundred mil doesn't buy zilch -- unless you've got a story on board.
7. Fierce Creatures. Sequel to splendid A Fish Called Wanda is a comedy out of water -- and luck.
8. 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag. The title says it all about Joe Pesci's taste for self-parody.
10. Hotel de Love. Maddening romantic comedy reveals the Aussie gift for clumsiness.
Join My Voice Nation for free stuff, film info & more!