Copper Mountain rolls out retro pricing and circa-'72 costume contest for 40th anniversary
Courtesy Copper Mountain
Copper Mountain's pouring 72-cent beers from 1 to 5 p.m. and hosting a '70s costume contest at 2 p.m. Saturday, December 8 -- both nods to the the resort's fortieth birthday, with a special appearance by Neil Diamond tribute band Super Diamond to complete the circa-1972 vibe. The resort is also offering $40 lift tickets, $40 Woodward at Copper Intro Sessions, $40 off Ski & Ride School Lessons, $40 rentals for two, and other discounts over the weekend.
"I'm going to be wearing Spandex -- as in, full-on Gene Simmons workout Spandex -- just to put that out there," says Copper spokeswoman Austyn Williams. "It turns out people don't really need much of an excuse to break out their '70s onesies and throwback threads on the mountain: Skiers and snowboarders just love dressing up for any old reason, and this is a pretty good one. The grand prize is a Copper Mountain season pass, second place is a pair of Liberty skis, and third place will get Copper Cash to use around the resort, so do it up right. Plus, anyone who dresses in '70s attire on Saturday will receive a 25 percent discount at any Copper restaurant."
The North Face Park and Pipe Open Series is also running Saturday and Sunday, and Copper currently has the only Olympic-sized superpipe open anywhere so far this season, which means you can get up there any time this week to peep many of the world's top pros working out their early-season kinks. "It's the only one in the world right now," Williams says. "They're all here." Catch the official U.S. Skiing and U.S Snowboarding team naming ceremony at 2:45 p.m. Saturday, and enter the USSA Meet the Pros Giveaway on Facebook for a chance to win free lift tickets and a VIP meet-and-greet with the athletes.
Other 40th anniversary deals this weekend, via CopperColorado.com:
- $40 bottle service at Escobar and may the force be with you.
- Sweet, man. Vintage candy, including candy necklaces, at Sugar Lips. Plus, $19.72 family pack including 2 dozen mini donuts with fancy schmancy toppings and 2 large hot cocoas. Or show up in costume for a free mini donut (and then buy a dozen - girl's gotta make some dough!).
- Far out! McCoy's Mountain Market - free lollipop shot glasses with every $19.72 purchase, and 72 cent fountain drinks with any purchase.
- Here's the skinny on Copper Trading Post's deals - 40 cent posters and a freebie when you spend $19.72.
- Funky Finds will have $4.00 rhinestone/sequin headbands and .72 hair accessories, plus lots of fun items for costumes and for the concert! And 19.72% off everything else in the store for that weekend - outta sight!
Get the Arts and Theater Newsletter
Weekly information keeping you in the know when it comes to the art and theater scene. Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events.