Denver's ten best men's street styles of 2012
All photos by Mauricio Rocha.
While this year is winding down in a frosty cold breath, it's the perfect time to look back on all the hot fashion that Denver saw this past year. By simply strutting down the street in high style, these men expressed their personalities....and made the city look good in the process.
Here are our top ten men's fashion moments -- and check out the fun stuff these guys keep in their bags. too!
10. Roman DeMartin has a grungy, DIY ethos. This look is very summer: light and casual. DeMartin excels at adding personal touches to otherwise typical items, like his neon duct-tape-covered Urban Outfitters tote and the canvas slip-on sneakers that he let his friend paint with koi fish. During the summer, he also travels with a Ben Sherman leather pouch, water bottles and chargers.
9. Isaac Soria, who works for the Denver Art Museum, likes to splurge on cool designer accessories, like his cobalt-blue Dolce & Gabbana shoes and brown leather Ralph Lauren tote bag. He allows the accessories to stand out against his muted gray hoodie, henley and denim.
8. Tattoo artist Rene Codero has a portrait of Vivienne Westwood inked on his arm. We spotted him on East Colfax, and he had a ton of eclectic things in his messenger bag -- like a freaky mask and books of surrealist photography.
7. Eric Garcia has an office day job; he's also a vocalist for Death Day Cabaret at night. He embellished this fun denim vest and made it his ode to Madonna. Garcia's punk-rock personality is expressed even in the Anne Rice novels and PSP he keeps in his bag to keep himself entertained on the go.
6. ASiEL is a local rapper and self-proclaimed king of hip-pop, a genre with which he is experimenting. He also experiments with his style, pairing vintage T-shirts with blazers. We spotted him outside the recording studio where he was working, and he invited us to have a look at the creation of his music. We also looked inside his bag, where he has a notebook for jotting down lyrics, and even vitamins to ensure that all is well.
Go to page 2 for the top five menswear moments of 2012!
5. Matthew Brown is the owner of Fancy Tiger and a staple of SoBo. He gave us a glimpse into his bag, which held a large copy of a glorious fashion magazine, Acne Paper. He also had a pair of pants in there, which indicates a true fashionista -- one always equipped with a backup outfit.
4. We spotted Brandon Dimick this past summer while he was on a job search. He was dressed for success in a skinny tie, jeans and boots, along with his resume, Nintendo DS and apple-crisp-flavored snack. In the process, Dimick showed that being prepared and projecting an image of success are always in style.
3. We spotted student Antwaun Johnson at the Auraria library last fall. We didn't know it then, but Johnson was highlighting a current fashion trend -- color blocking -- in his ensemble. We appreciate his audacity in mixing a magenta button-up with mint slacks for a look that is sharp yet experimental. Inside his bag he had a Bible and an umbrella, proving he was ready for both the apocalypse or maybe just a thunderstorm.
2. Mario Marshall just graduated from the University of Denver with his master's degree and wants to move to New York next year to pursue a career. We spotted him on Lawrence and enjoyed his red pea coat, Burberry scarf and wingtip boots. Marshall says he models his fashion on blending a gentleman's style with an urban punch, and this look accomplishes that.
1. Evan Hyndman is a bank teller who is inspired by Manhattan and Brooklyn to craft his refined look. Although he didn't reveal the innards of his bag, the winning combination of tri-colored wingtip shoes, distressed briefcase and slim tie are all modern twists on classic menswear.
We can't wait to see new and exciting men's fashions on the streets in the new year. Here's to a stylish 2013, Denver!
Get the Arts and Theater Newsletter
Weekly information keeping you in the know when it comes to the art and theater scene. Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events.