What a dazzling display of women's wear we witnessed in 2012! The spectrum of stylish females is wide and varied in Denver: from servers to fashion designers, makeup artists to comics. Keep reading for the most memorable looks we spotted in 2012, as well as the stories of the ladies who pulled these looks together -- and a peek into their purses. See also: - Denver's ten best men's street styles of 2012 - Kristin Rand, of the all-female comedy group Ladyface, talks standup versus sketch - What's in your bag? A Swiss army knife, hairspray and more!
10. Kristin Rand is part of the Ladyface comedy troupe, but she's not kidding around with her street style. We spotted her wearing a powder-blue jacket and gold ballet flats, looking very chic in a subtle way. Inside her bag was an antique tin and her business card featuring her humorous head shot: Rand's style inspires many smiles.
9. Sarah Barili divides her time between painting and serving at the Mellow Mushroom. She got our attention by fusing femininity with a military look; pairing her combat boots with a pastel pink dress and giant sun hat. And she's definitely on the cutting edge; when we checked her purse, we found a switchblade.
8. Stella Montoya is woman of many talents. She manages Buffalo Exchange and also DJs at 3 Kings every Tuesday night, spinning heavy metal and hair rock. She has the teal locks of a mermaid and the style of a punk-rock glam hippie. Inside her purse we spotted a Mac lipstick and a Gucci wallet, proving that while she is adventurous with her style, she still pays immaculate attention to detail.
7. Malarie Parks makes no apologies for her street style. We spotted her on 13th Avenue, wearing a furry vest over a blazer over a Bob Marley hoodie. In her patterned purse was some perfume, along with marijuana, a can of Red Bull and a pack of Camels. Her look screams professional stoner princess, and we appreciate her unapologetic style.
6. A singer and songwriter who's a vocalist for two bands, Precious Hill expresses herself through her clothes when she isn't expressing herself through her music. When we spotted her in Uptown this autumn, she was looking futuristic with silver leggings and a feather headband. But the Skittles in her bag showed she possessed a sweet street style.
Go to page 2 for the top 5 women's street style moments of 2012!
5.Designer of Phaulty Phantasmagoria, Olivia Mclean is a woman of many mediums; she dabbles in all of the audio, visual and makeup styles featured in her fashion shows. We spotted her on 13th Avenue wearing a Jean Paul Gaultier blouse that resembled a church's stained glass windows. In her black leather purse were a sketchbook with sample hair, paint markers and measuring tape, showing that she's always concocting new ideas.
4. A makeup artist and former film actress, Mary Ann Hogan has lived a life filled with fashion and art. She caught our eye with her black ensemble -- the perfect backdrop for her red prayer beads and fun, flaming red hair. Hogan has a global sense of style; in her tote were some funky spider-framed shades from London. Hogan proves that true style lasts forever and does not involve cyclical trends.
3. The front woman of local band Plastic Children, Tamara Rodriguez manifests her destiny through her style, wearing a talisman to reflect her spiritual beliefs. Her admiration for avant-garde fashion is shown in the pink-and-blue Jeffrey Campbell platforms she wears with a black fringe dress, mixing textures and colors. Inside her purse we found spiritual books and precious stones, to guarantee Rodriguez has the right aura and energy throughout her day.
2. Ashley Founda, a New York native and Serpens Cauda jewelry maker, had a fashionable and mythological Halloween costume this year: a jackalope. Her heavy headdress made with real deer antlers took real skill to both create and wear. Fonda uses North American folklore and high-end designer pieces like a Dolce and Gabbana makeup case to create her own look.
1. Beya Rodriguez is a cosmetologist who prides herself on instilling confidence in others through beauty. We spotted her at the Westword Music Showcase this summer, and were amazed by her red high heels, cherry printed clutch and graphic dress. On a day when many were clad in shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops, Rodriguez rose to the occasion and rocked heels all day and night, barely breaking a sweat. She travels light with the essentials (cell phone, shades, ID and cash), but still packs a powerful punch.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Let's toast all the chic woman we encountered this year. And here's to a fashionable 2013, Denver.