Five Colorado Rockies promos that might bring out fans -- even if the team doesn't
With the Colorado Rockies mired in a weeks-long slump, there are fewer and fewer reasons to go the ballpark in the heat of the summer. But just because the product on the field is suffering doesn't mean the product at the gates is doing the same. We're talking about promos -- the free junk that the team and its corporate sponsors give away. We've already talked about the We WantTacos t-shirt giveaway tomorrow, but here are the top five remaining promos for the rest of the season:
5. Lunch Bag The only reason the lunch bag comes in at the fifth spot, rather than the fourth, is because I don't know what is pictured on the lunch bag. Is it a Rockies logo or a King Soopers one? Hopefully, it is the team's. Dig in on Saturday, September 17 at 6:10 p.m. when the San Francisco Giants come to town. Lunch bags go to the first 10,000 fans.
4. 2011 Team Poster and Photo Okay, it's not that cool, but still, if you're a fan, you'll hang this sucker in your garage at the very least, and thirty years from now when you find it in an old box (or your kids do after you're dead and gone), it will be very cool. I just found a team photo of the 1978 Denver Broncos in an old souvenir box of mine. It was awesome. Show your fandom on Saturday, July 16, at 6:10 p.m. when the Rockies face the Milwaukee Brewers. Every fan in attendance gets a poster and photo.
3. Colorado Rockies Baseball Cap Okay, this is a tough one because there are two baseball cap days. And while Coca-Cola's gray cap looks nicer than the Coors Light one and will be given to more fans (15,000 as opposed to 10,000), the beer one is a classic black and represents, well, beer, which is cooler than soda (and it will only be given to adults over 21, so there's a better chance of snagging one). So, tie! Get the Coca-Cola cap before the Rockies-Brewers game on Sunday, July 17, at 1:10 p.m. Snag the Coors Light lid on Saturday, August 6 at 6:10 p.m. when the Rocks battle the Washington Nationals.
2. Ubaldo Jimenez T-shirt It will probably only fit kids and short, thin women. It will be made of cheap fabric that will fray after the third washing, but who cares. It's free, right? (And actually, from the picture, it doesn't look that bad.) Get it Friday, August 19 at 6:40 p.m. when the Los Angeles Dodgers come to town to take on your Colorado Rockies. Available to the first 10,000 fans, thanks to Qwest/Century Link.
Burgos with: Ransteez, Giothevillan, Chicitychino
TicketsSat., Jan. 28, 8:00pm
Stand Up! the Workshop - Comedy Showcase
TicketsTue., Jan. 31, 7:00pm
TicketsThu., Feb. 2, 7:30pm
These Jokes Are for You (W/ Denver Comedy Champion Nathan Lund)
TicketsThu., Feb. 2, 8:00pm
Future Faces of Funny
TicketsWed., Feb. 8, 7:30pm
1. Troy Tulowitzki Bobblehead You want it. You know you want it. So don't deny it. You've already pictured Troy's head bobbling away on your desk or mantle -- a little piece of goodness that will make everyone else jealous. So go get it on Saturday, August 20 when the Rockies take on the Dodgers -- those miserable Dodgers -- at 2:10 p.m. Bobbleheads go to the first 10,000 fans, courtesy of King Soopers.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Denver art and theater scene.