Five Gay Ways to Ring in 2015 in Denver
Gay, straight or otherwise, there are some fabulous options for ringing in the New Year.
This was a great year to be part of the GLBTQ rainbow in Colorado. Gay marriage made gigantic strides and became a reality; numerous notables, from celebrities to artists and politicians, came out and made their voices heard. Though we don't have a lock on celebrating, our straight brethren could do worse than following what gay guys or gals are planning to usher out 2014 and ring in 2015.
See also: Five Best Ways to Make Your Yuletide Gay
Who says that the Dark Knight wouldn't enjoy Midtowne's Mask Party?
5) New Year Mask Party Midtowne Spa You don't have to be gay to enjoy the playground that is the Midtowne Spa -- but it sure does help! The Spa is a welcome respite for men of all shapes and sizes interested in getting close to their fellow man while wearing nothing more than a bath towel (or nothing at all!). On NYE it will up the ante by throwing a mask party that starts at 9 p.m. and celebrates "pleasure and intrigue" -- and anonymity. On top of all the skin, the Midtowne will provide free food and beverages, a champagne toast at midnight and a continental breakfast at 6 a.m. -- because the kind of party that requires condoms (always free and available all over) certainly works up an appetite. Masks will be provided, or just bring that Batman mask you love and make someone's fantasy come true! Reserve a room for the night and more at midtowne.com or call 303-458-8902; remember, it's 18+.
Lannie Garrett is going to take you all the way back to 1945 before she launches you into 2015.
4) Lannie's Swingin' Big Band Lannie's Cabaret We gays love our brassy broads, and Denver gem Lannie Garrett is our own personal Bette Midler. She's got a doozy of a party planned to ring in the New Year at her legendary cabaret in the basement of the D&F Clocktower. The fun starts at 8 p.m. with the Justin Adams Trio banging out some tunes, a decadent dessert buffet, fireworks and, of course, Lannie's big show full of heady renditions of the greatest hits of the swing and jump eras and performed by her ten-piece Big Band. Champagne toast, party hats and noisemakers will be included so you can jump, jive and wail the old year out and the New Year in. Tickets are $125 for the whole shebang (21+) and available at lannies.com.
Enjoy some dancing with thousands of your closet friends at Decadence NYE.
3) Decadence Colorado Colorado Convention Center Nothing outs a gay man quicker than a heavy dance beat, and there may be no bigger bringing of the bass than Global Dance's Decadence (minus points for not calling it DecaDANCE) party taking residence for two days in the Colorado Convention Center. From 6:30 a.m. to 2 a.m. on December 30 and December 31, there will be two arenas full of nothing but the sweatiest musical jams from some of the best DJs in the biz, including Bassnectar, Disclosure, Kaskade, Armin Van Buuren and countless others. With room enough for thousands of sonic worshippers and plenty of men and women in various levels of clad, from formal to scantily, this party will have an impressive countdown to midnight complete with a massive video and light show. Start hydrating now so that you can start out 2015 with a set of freshly cleansed sweat glands. One- and two-day passes (18+) and more info available at decadencenye.com.
Charlie's has some boot scootin' boogie for you this NYE.
2) Studs, Spurs & Six Packs NYE '15 Charlie's Denver's celebrated country gay bar is ringing in the new year by providing a venue for those who just want to kick up their heels and have a good time -- and there's no cover to come in and take a twirl on one of two dancefloors designated for either country tunes or more clubheavy jams. The 21+ fun starts at 8 p.m., with plenty of drink specials all night long, including free champagne and a prize balloon drop at midnight. The festivities are hosted by sweet country queen Shanida Lawya, whose outfit guarantees to show you up unless you pull your cowboy best out of the closet and bring it on down for a boot-scootin' good time! More info at charliesdenver.com.
Tracks is going to take you into the past and the future with one gigantic NYE party.
1) Time Capsule Tracks/Exdo Denver's Tracks is celebrating a huge anniversary in 2015, and so it's pulling out all the stops on this year's NYE party, which starts at 9 p.m. and covers the entire Tracks complex. The theme calls for a time-traveling evening that will take you on a journey from 1865 to 1925, 1985 and all the way to 2045. DJs Chris Cornell, Sean Ogrady and Blaque Gurl will be spinning dancers into a frenzy on the Tracks side, while DJ Markie will cause a twirl over on the Exdo side -- which will also be featuring some of Denver's best drag via the last Drag Nation show of the year. RuPaul squirrel-friend Michelle Visage hosts the extravagaaaanza and she's bringing Drag Race Season 6 star Darienne Lake and a top secret guest from the upcoming Season 7 along to accent what promises to be an epic show with the shining Drag Nation cast and the hot hoofers of Denver Dance. Tickets are $20 (and 21+), but prices go up the day of the bash so snatch up a few at tracksdenver.com.
Dear Constant Reader, you can learn more about Keith Garcia on Twitter: @ConstantWatcher
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.