Five lessons from the SIA Snow Fashion Show
Olympic team uniform by Under Armour and Skullcandy at the SIA Snow Fashion Show
Photo: Sarah Austin
Overheard at the SIA Snow Fashion Show:
"On the lookout for FYB, blue steel, and the assured unintentional comedy" - Jonny Burns, proprietor of SouthOfTheNorth.com and, ahem, FuckYeahBro.com, irreverent snowboarding blogs tracking the trends at the SIA Snow Show this week.
If the fashion show at the Wells Fargo Theater (the kickoff event for
this week's SnowSports Industries America trade show) is any
indication, trends for the 2010/2011 winter season include dizzyingly
bright colors, undergarments as outerwear, and patriotism aplenty. We
saw lots of blue steel and unintentional comedy, not so much FYB (though those Olympic team freestyle ski team uniforms by Under Armour are pretty fresh).
Other lessons from the night:
1. It turns out it's nearly impossible to look sexy walking the runway in Moon Boots.
Ladies: If you're trying to draw attention away from your unforgivably
unfashionable ski pants, try pairing them with a bikini top and most
people won't even notice.
3. All the advances in high tech
synthetic fabrics for cold weather gear have been for naught,
apparently: People are still perching cute little furry (dead) animals
on their heads in the 21st century, Davy Crockett-style. Where's the
PETA protesters when you need them?
4. Dudes: Skip the ski
pants and just rock your base layer. The ladies go nuts when you stroll
to the lodge packing your package in nothing but a thin pair of long
5. Jersey Shore is coming to the Aspen après ski scene. Believe it.
Slideshow photos by Sarah Austin
Get the Arts and Theater Newsletter
Weekly information keeping you in the know when it comes to the art and theater scene. Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events.
More ARTS News
- Bob Topp and his Hermitage Bookshop Keep Turning Pages — and Heads — in Cherry Creek
- Art Shows on Display in the Denver Area Right Now
- 88 Drive-In Theatre Kicks Off Another Season With a New Digital Projection System
- InFauxmation's Brent Gill on Denver Comedy and Why So Many Weird Stories Come Out of...