Gettin' Crafty: Birthday in a Box!
So what's in the birthday box?
For all those who give pom-pom critters for birthdays, feel an urge to stick googly eyes on everything or just occasionally get a twitch to fold some origami, we bring you "Gettin' Crafty," where we feature a craft you can easily make with minimal supplies and limited finances. For friends and family who live far away, it can be a huge bummer not celebrating birthdays with them. The next best thing to getting on an airplane is this week's Birthday in a Box. It's everything the birthday boy or girl needs, and shows that you are thinking of them.
Paper: the brighter, the better String Stapler Marker or paint pens Cupcakes, cookies, other delicious baked goods Candles Plastic fork Paper plates Confetti/Streamers/anything else festive that screams "Happy Birthday"
1. Make the paper banner. Pick your colors and the order you want them on the banner.
2. Make a template of the size you want the banner pieces to be. The shape is essentially a triangle with a tapered base. Cut each shape out of the paper.
3. Write your message -- mine is "Happy Birthday" -- on the banner pieces.
4. Fold the paper pieces over the string, and staple into place. Make sure to fold it so you only see a triangle, not the excess base.
5. Cut the string, and tie small knots at the ends and between the words so they don't slide all over the place.
6. Fill the box with the rest of the supplies. I decorated inside my box with wrapping paper and stickers of puppies. Because nothing says "birthday" like puppies.
7. Address and mail off to the lucky recipient. Better than any cliché birthday card, and definitely better than the bills they usually receive in the mail.
So it doesn't replace you, but it is a festive sentiment
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.