Gettin' Crafty: creating chalkboards
- Chalkboard paint
Instructions 1. Tape off the wall or section of wall, or the cupboard or desk or whatever you plan on making into a chalkboard.
2. Mix up the paint really well. The paint separates more than most paint; stir like your life depended on it so that the paint will go on on as smooth as possible.
3. Using short "x" strokes, begin painting.
4. Repeat, you will need several coats to ensure the paint is even and the surface is entirely covered. I used three. Make sure the paint is thoroughly dry between coats. Something about the chemical make-up of the chalkboard paint requires extra time to dry.
5. Once it's dry, remove the tape.
6. In a few days, rub a light dusting of chalk dust on the painted surface as a sort of "primer". Doodle away!
No long division or verb conjugations on this board!
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Denver art and theater scene.