For all those who give pom-pom critters for birthdays, feel an urge to stick googly eyes on everything or just occasionally get a twitch to fold some origami, we bring you "Gettin' Crafty," where we feature a craft you can easily make with minimal supplies and limited finances. For all of us in the real world, this time of year means warmer weather. For a select few, this time of year means big money. Graduation money, that is. To celebrate the graduates in your life, or if you are still wistfully longing for college or high school (seriously?), here is a little something to celebrate with.
- Small piece of cardboard
- Empty egg carton
- Black paint
- White twine
1. Cut out one egg holder from the carton.
2. Cut your piece of cardboard so it looks proportionate to the egg holder. Mine was a three-inch square.
3. Paint one side of the square and the exterior of the egg holder black. Let it dry.
4. Cut a piece of twine about two inches long. Tie an end on one side, leaving a two-centimeter tail. This is the tassel.
5. Poke a hole in the center of the cardboard and the top of the egg holder.
6. Thread the twine through both holes, and secure the twine inside of the egg holder with tape.
7. Put a dab of glue on top of the egg holder, where the twine connects the two pieces, to make sure the they stay together.
8. Paint the interior of the egg holder and the underside of the cardboard on top.
9. Use your mini-mortarboard to top cupcakes, to mark place settings or to wear. How you use it is up to you.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
It also happens to be cat-sized...