Johnny Cash, Oz, & Cousin It: Denver Center Attractions' New Season
What do Walt Whitman and Broadway theater have in common? Both contain multitudes.
Bad jokes aside, Denver Center Attractions' 2012 lineup is filled with contrariety. It kicks off this January with a production of Bring It On: The Musical, a high-octane comedy about cheerleading, and ends in October with the Tony Award-winning Memphis, which is about forbidden love, social inequality and the 1950s.
Between these two jarringly different performances there is a slew of other strange -- and wonderful -- juxtapositions, among them a play based on the dark, delirious world of the Addams family, an exploration of Johnny Cash's music and his turbulent career and the classics I Love You You're Perfect Now Change, La Cage Aux Folles, and Wicked. Not only this: though it's not included in the subscription series, they've also managed to sneak in Green Day's American Idiot next March.
Punks on Broadway: "American Idiot."
Following is the complete schedule. Starred items are not included in the subscription season.
- Bring It On: The Musical, January10-21, 2012
- I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change, February 17-June 24, 2012, Garner Galleria Theatre
- American Idiot*, March 6-11, Buell Theatre
- Ring of Fire: The Music of Johnny Cash, March 23-May 13, Stage Theatre, in conjunction with the Denver Center Theatre Company
- Wicked, April 11-May 20, Buell Theatre
- The Addams Family, June 19-July 1, Buell Theatre
- Jersey Boys*, July 17-August 11, Buell Theatre
- La Cage Aux Folles, September 4-16, Buell Theatre
- Memphis, October 10-21, Buell Theatre
"Memphis": Coming to the Buell next year.
Season ticket packages, on sale now, begin at $218; individual ticket sale dates TBA. Get information and buy tickets at www.denvercenter.org/bwaysubs or call 303-893-4100.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.