New Year's Eve 2011 Denver: ten best New Year's Day events
You made it to 2012 -- congratulations! -- and maybe you're still partying hearty from the night before...or perhaps you just need to get out of the house on this Sunday after. We've got a rundown of New Year's Day events; keep reading to see our picks:
10: Denver Botanic Gardens: Blossoms of Light This is your last chance to view the spectacular million lights scattered through the Denver Botanic Gardens; you can see the lights starting at 5:30 p.m., and admission is $4.50 to $9.50 (kids two and younger are free!). Call 720-865-3500 or visit www.botanicgardens.org.
9. Steuben's 38-Hour New Year's Eve Celebration If you're still up from the night before, Steuben's is right there with you; the restaurant has been open since 10 a.m. yesterday and will stay open until midnight tonight. Head over for brunch and the Hibernator and bask in the glow of people just as wiped out as you must be. Call 303-830-1001 or visit www.steubens.com.
8. Pho 16th Vietnamese Grill Pho is great hangover food, and from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Pho 16th Vietnamese Grill, you can save $1 on any size bowl of pho -- so go ahead and get the large; you can always take the leftovers home! Call 303-629-7878.
7. Le Grand Bistro & Oyster Bar Le Grand is also hosting a hangover brunch, where you can enjoy oysters for just $1. We're not so sure how well oysters pair with a hangover, but if you like mollusks, this is certainly the place to go! Call 303-534-1155 or visit www.legranddenver.com.
6. For Heaven's Sake Psychic Fair Now that you survived 2011, it's time to figure out what, exactly, 2012 has in store for you. For Heaven's Sake is hosting store-wide sales, plus psychics, mediums, astrologers and healers, whose time you can purchase for $1 per minutes. Call 303-964-9339 or visit www.forheavensake.com.
5. The Pinyon There's an old wives' tale that says something about "hair of the dog" being the best cure for a hangover. Test that theory at the Pinyon today, which is offering its usual stellar brunch menu as well as cocktail specials. Call 720-306-8248 or visit www.thepinyon.com.
4. Mercury Cafe There will be live music during brunch hour -- from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. -- at the Merc today, as well as Tarot readings...and if you're up later, head over at 8 p.m. for dancing to Juke Joint Justice. Call 303-294-9281 or visit www.mercurycafe.com.
3. Isis Books and Gifts Get a window into the future at Isis today with readings from psychics Judith Brownlee, Jennifer Garcia, Jackie Weller, Kami Lichtenberg and Will Christy from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Admission to the store is, of course, free, and readings cost a reasonable $1.50 per minute. Call 303-761-8627 or visit www.isisbooks.com.
2. Evergreen Lake Icefest XVI New Year's Day wouldn't be complete without some crazy people jumping into an ice-covered lake, now, would it? The annual Icefest is a fundraiser for Drive Smart, and you can pay $25 to $35 for the privilege of taking a dunk into the icy water. Visit 5280host.com/drive-smart/evergreen-lake-plunge.
1. Polar Bear Plunge The Polar Bear Plunge is another gratuitous jump into cold water, but this one also features hot tubs and costumes, and only costs $20 to $25; the proceeds will benefit the Alzheimer's Association. Visit ypaac.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=995242.
More New Year's Eve lists
- New Year's Eve: Mountain celebrations - New Year's Eve: family-friendly events - New Year's Eve: comedy events - New Year's Eve: nightlife events - New Year's Eve: food and drink events - New Year's Eve: free events - New Year's Eve: cheap events - New Year's Eve: upscale events - New Year's Eve: electronic-music events
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Denver art and theater scene.