New Year's Eve is the night for premium parties, costume balls and epic, end-of-the-year blowouts. On December 31, Denver will be filled with everything from sweaty dance floors packed with crowds getting down to the best DJs to dress-to-impress galas. We've rounded up ten of the best New Year's Eve throwdowns;check out Westword's calendar for a full list of events and concerts.
10) Soul Gloss with Lipgloss and Mile High Soul Club at Meadowlark ($25) Lipgloss and Mile High Soul Club have teamed up to ring in 2015 with Soul Gloss, a New Year's Eve party for audiophiles and vinyl purists. The Meadowlark's intimate main room will transform into a sweaty dance floor as Lipgloss DJs Michael Trundle, aka boyhollow, and DJ Tower throw down everything from David Bowie and the Stones to Cut Copy and LCD Soundsystem. Wander upstairs to the bar's enclosed and heated patio, and you'll enjoy the best in Motown, Northern soul, funk and vinyl rarities as Mile High Soul Club's Tyler Jacobson, DJ Dogboy and Steve Cervantes spin all night long.
9) New Year's Eve at the Speakeasy at Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art ($30 to $40) The Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art will transform itself into a roaring '20s speakeasy for this New Year's Eve bash. Dress up in flapper and gangster attire and enjoy live jazz and burlesque, cocktails, tarot card readings and a special mugshot-styled photo opportunity. The party is put on by the BMOCA's young patrons group, Friends With Benefits, and the get-together benefits the museum's exhibitions and programs.
8) Time Capsule at Tracks ($20) Always the place for a multi-faceted party, Tracks will bring two distinct experiences to its massive nightclub complex on December 31. The EXDO side will feature a live performance from pop diva Michelle Visage as well as a full display of drag royalty with RuPaul's Drag Race alum Darianne Lake joining local Drag Nation superstars on the catwalk. The Tracks side will be burning up the dance floor all night long as DJs Chris Cornell, Sean OGrady, Markie and DJ Blaque Gurl throw down the hottest tracks. One ticket gets you into both parties.
7) Rowdy Shadehouse at La Rumba ($15 to $25) La Rumba will welcome Denver's funkiest band, Rowdy Shadehouse, to the stage for a night of epic dancing and an adult-themed set of good vibe tracks and call-and-response songs. The full-fledged sexy funk band shares the bill with Winehouse, Denver's own eleven-piece Amy Winehouse tribute band, featuring the perfect vocals of Amy channeler Toddy Walters. For a full list of concerts happening on New Year's Eve, check the Westword events calendar and our music section, Backbeat.
6) The Solution with DJ Low Key & Lazy Eyez at Beauty Bar ($30 at the door) Denver tastemakers DJ Low Key & Lazy Eyez throw killer parties all year long, and New Year's Eve is no exception. The duo will be joined by world-renowned mixmaster Chris Karns and local artist CRL CRRLL for an evening of socializing and getting down. Tickets are $30 at the door and include all-you-can-drink adult beverages from the bar.
5) White Rose Gala at Ellie Caulkins Opera House ($69 to $109) For another fabulous party devoted to the roaring '20s, Kevin Larson will put on the White Rose Gala in speakeasy style. Head to the dance floor to hear ten-piece big band "The Swing Cats" churn out music from the era or enjoy the modern sounds of Vegas-style DJs. Hit the tables for a game of craps and blackjack or take in one of the dozens of performers putting on shows of their own as they wander through the costumed crowd.
4) Time After Time New Year's Eve Throwback Ball at City Hall ($20 to $200) This party will bring it to the next level with the most danceable lineup of the new year. The 6 Million Dollar Band, The Fabulous Boogienauts, Hustlehoff and Mike Moses will take the stage and the turntables throughout the night for a massive, multi-level discotheque. Confetti cannons, complimentary party favors and a midnight countdown balloon drop are all part of this party night where the champagne never stops flowing.
3) New Year's Eve at Mercury Cafe ($10 to $25) Taking advantage of its multiple rooms and floors, the Mercury Cafe will host a number of events for the holiday, starting with chef's specials in the dining room complemented by live classical and jazz musicians Vincent Chavez, Joe Green, Gregg Painter and more. Local musician Ian Cooke will entertain in the Jungle Room while the annual Erotic Poetry Festival accompanied by Beat Nomad Dancers begins at 7 p.m. in the dancehall -- where the Rocky Mountain jazz band Spicy Pickles will take over at 10 p.m. All events in each room are separately ticketed; see the Mercury Cafe's website for full details.
2) AnySwing Goes! at Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret ($125) Ring in the new year in downtown style with local entertainment legend Lannie Garrett backed by her own big band, AnySwing Goes. Doors open at 8 p.m. with the smooth sounds of the Justin Adams Trio and a dessert bar. At 9 p.m. guests are invited outside for a fireworks display before Lannie's big show begins inside and everyone is treated to party favors and champagne toasts.
1) Howl New Year's Eve at Syntax Physic Opera ($35 to $130) This one-of-a-kind New Year's Eve gathering is a Victorian dreamscape set inside the beautiful Syntax Physic Opera. The theme of this turn-of-the-century soiree is that of a medicine show, with musicians and artists creating a unique environment where guests an mingle and become a part of the party.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!