Seven best fashion events in Denver in May
May showers bring spring flowers, and that means a bouquet of fashion events to brighten your days. For animal lovers, there's the annual Handbags to Hounds fashion show; for the fashion faithful, the La Rue Fashion Showcase. Here are seven of the top fashion events in Denver set for May.
7) Women With Hattitude 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Thursday, May 1 Seawell Grand Ballroom, 1101 13th St. More than 500 guests will enjoy lunch, remarks by a female playwright and entertainment from a DCPA show. New this year is the Hattitude Marketplace, featuring local vendors, before and after the luncheon. Tickets are $50 per person; $100 Top Hat tickets include an additional donation to the Women's Voice Fund. For reservations, call 303-446-4815 or visit denvercenter.org/hattitude.
6) Timbuk2 Grand Opening 2-8 p.m., Saturday, May 3 1411 Larimer Street
The San Francisco-based bag company will open its third retail store in the company's history. In addition to the store's stylish bags and an interactive custom-design station, the grand opening event will include beer from the Great Divide, a photo booth and $5 Miir stainless-steel print glasses with sales benefitting Bike Denver.
5) Denver Derby Party 1-6:30 p.m., Saturday, May 3 Sculpture Park, Denver Performing Arts Complex
One of the most highly anticipated spring events, the Denver Derby is not only a fundraiser for the Sean "Ranch" Lough Memorial Scholarship, but the place to be seen in derby fashion. General admission is $130 and Jockey Club $290; all proceeds benefit the scholarship fund. For tickets, go to Denverderby.com.
4) Dress Your Best -- Fashion Show 7 p.m., Sunday, May 4 NORAD, 821 22nd St.
The Dress Your Best mission is to create start-up capital for a chosen artist to get to work. Men's clothing designer Shandearan will be the recipient of the proceeds from this inaugural evening's events. There will be a silent auction, fashion show featuring Shanderan's debut line, food and DJs. Pre-sale tickets are $30, tickets at the door $40. For tickets, go to EventBee.com. Keep reading for three more top fashion events in May.
3) Another Chance Fashion Show 6 p.m., Wednesday, May 14 Our Savior's Lutheran Church, 915 East Ninth Avenue
Another Chance Fashion Show is a fundraiser for Mission Wear, a non-profit sewing business that hires women with obstacles to employment, who create reusable products. The fashion show will focus on re-purposed material and clothes from Mission Wear and sponsor Birds and Belles Boutique, a buy-sell-trade boutique in Denver. There will be a silent auction, a contest for the best design, food by Noodles & Co and beer from Strange Brewing Company. The show is free!
2) Handbags and Hounds 6 p.m. Friday, May 16 Kuni Lexis, 5150 South Quebec St.
The annual fundraiser for Freedom Service Dogs, Handbags and Hounds will feature free cocktails, a mani/pedi station, shopping for handbags and accessories, and a drag show by the Demented Divas. Tickets are $40, and all proceeds go to Freedom Service Dogs. For more info, go to Freedomservicedogs.org.
1) La Rue Fashion Showcase 6-10 p.m. Saturday, May 24 BEACONS Creative Community Space Cherry Creek, 2630 East Third Avenue
The La Rue Fashion Showcase will present individual designers who use non-traditional fabrics, including African print, in their collection. In addition to the fashions, there will be music and food. Tickets at the door are $25 for those over eighteen, $15 for those sixteen to eighteen. For more information, call 303-751-0863.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Denver art and theater scene.