The Fine Gentleman's Club fights tragedy with Too Much Fun!
Sharing stories is possibly the saddest yet most uplifting aspect of facing public tragedy, and we've been hearing a lot of them in the last few days -- about people who died too soon, saved lives through small acts of bravery, and whose own lives were changed forever in a split second.
Until early Friday morning, Caleb Medley, who grew up in Florence, was an aspiring comic with a pregnant wife. He's not well-known in the comedy ranks, but he'd just started in on the long haul of the summer New Faces Contest at Comedy Works and was still standing in the competition.
- Aurora theater shooting: Caleb Medley, comic, fights for life as loved ones fight for him - Wear your bat-heart on your shirt, with a new tee from DenverMind Media - Sam Tallent talks about his comedy mixtape Joke Life, and his Fine Gentleman's Club
That all changed when he and his wife, Katie, like so many others, decided to catch the midnight premiere of The Dark Knight Rises at the Aurora Century 16 last week. In the terror and chaos that ensued when an armed man opened fire shortly after the film began, Katie escaped the bullets.
But Caleb wasn't so lucky. He was shot in the face and now lies in an ICU in an induced coma, minus his right eye and fighting for his life.
Even though Caleb hadn't yet made his name in comedy, the tight local comedy community quickly pulled together in his name -- because he's one of them. Pleas for help have been chiming out, through social media and web pages. And at 10:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 25, the Fine Gentleman's Club will hold a benefit edition of its Too Much Fun! comedy night at the Deer Pile, above City, O' City.
Find information on hundreds of other arts and entertainment events in our online Calendar.
To keep up with the Froyd's eye-view of arts and culture in Denver,"like" my fan page on Facebook.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Denver art and theater scene.
More Arts News
- What Do You Love in This State? Enter DCI's "Crushing" on Colorado Contest
- Just in Time for Valentine's Day: A Sweet Deal on Tickets to Artopia 2016
- Bruce Dern to Be Honored at Twelfth Annual Boulder International Film Festival
- Steet Style: Ka'uilani Sterling Sports a Winning Look in a Sea of Orange and Blue