The Oscars: Five Denver area watch parties
Hollywood's biggest night is coming up on Sunday, and in honor of that most hallowed of cinematic traditions, we've compiled a list of the five best places to watch the Oscars in style.
1. Oscar Night America at the EXDO Event Center As Robin Edwards writes in this week's issue, "The night will include a red carpet, a predict-the-winners contest, and a photo booth with a real live Oscar (on loan from 1997 Best Documentary Short winner Donna Dewey) that you can hold while getting your picture taken. 'It's a gathering of folks who really love movies,' says Denver Film Festival director Britta Erickson. 'Those die-hard film lovers who have been watching these films all year long and are excited about who gets to win get to come together in a really glamorous way and celebrate like they do in Hollywood.' They'll toast with champagne, enjoy a fancy sit-down dinner, and participate in a silent auction during a live broadcast of the film industry's biggest night. All proceeds go to the Denver Film Society, so you can gawk at the outrageous outfits and see who takes home those heavy golden statues knowing that you're supporting another year of excellent film programming in Denver. "
Where: EXDO Event Center, 1399 35th Street Cost: Between $100 and $2,000, depending on the type of package you'd like. Time: 5 p.m.
2. The Oscars at the Bug Theatre The Bug Theatre is known as a center for alternative arts, but this Sunday it's getting fancy and hosting the first annual Oscars at the Bug. Guests are encouraged to come "fashionably dressed in black tie and gowns and arrive in a limo Hollywood style or come dressed in casually dressed to enjoy the evening."
Where: The The Bug Theatre at 3654 Navajo Street. Cost: Free admission Time: Doors open at 4:30 p.m.
3. Cinema Grill Oscar Watch Party The Aurora Cinema Grill is a restaurant and movie theater all rolled into one. It will be showing the entire ceremony on its giant movie screen and serving its regular menu all night.
Where: The Aurora Cinema Grill 13682 East Alameda. Cost: Entrance is free, or you can reserve seating with a $15 food/drink deposit. Time: Doors open at 3:30 p.m.
4. Oscar watch party at Crave Dessert Bar and Lounge Crave has been open just a few months, but the city's already sweet on it. For tonight's Oscar-watching party, it will be featuring some of the town's favorite treats -- including the twenty-layer cake and vanilla-dusted donuts -- but the rest of the night is sure to please, too. With big TVs and bigger drink specials, what's not to love?
Where: Crave at 891 14th Street. Cost: Free Time: 4 p.m.
5. The Kress Cinema and Lounge Annual Oscar Party The Kress is located in Greeley, but this party could be worth the drive. A red-carpet entrance will prove you've arrived -- and inside you'll find an appetizer buffet, cash prizes for the best Oscar ballot and a decked0out lounge where you can watch the show.
Where:The Kress Cinema and Lounge, 817 8th Avenue, in Greeley Cost: $20 Time: 5:30 p.m. Know of any other great Oscar parties? Post them below.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.