The ten best geek events in Denver in May
Take a break from all the Star Wars to enjoy some zombies.
May is here, and let's hope you geeks like Star Wars. This month is packed with events tied to everyone's favorite franchise set in a galaxy far, far away since May 4 -- as in May the Fourth be with you, because geeks love puns -- is a Star Wars holiday and May marks the anniversary of the original film's release back in 1977. Don't fret if you've already had enough Jedi, Sith and Ewoks to last a lifetime, because in between those Lucasfilm bookends, there's plenty of other good geek stuff going on, too. From a celebration of robots to free comic books, these are May's best geek events:
The finest movie ever made about giant sandworms invading a small town can only be improved by one thing: being turned into a drinking game. Classic B-movie fun, Kevin Baco, and booze -- what else can you ask for? Plan on taking a cab home from this one, because you'll be drinking every time the creatures appear or the main characters bicker, and that's going to leave you a little woozy. Oh, and get there early -- the first fifty people through the door get their first drink free, courtesy of Breckenridge Brewing.
See it and drink at 9:45 p.m. Friday, May 9 at the Sie FilmCenter. Tickets are $10, or $7 for Denver Film Society members. For tickets and more info, visit the film's event page at the Denver Film Society website.
9) Geekshow II Geek is a broad subject. Science fiction, fantasy and horror all fall under that umbrella, plus the various dedicated fandoms. Then there are the makers (people who build stuff), cosplayers and gamers, and even that is just scratching the surface. If you wanted to scratch that surface and see what kind of weird shit was underneath, you could do a lot worse than Geekshow II, a variety pack of all kinds of geeky nonsense, from 3D printing to acts of musical nerdery. And it's a benefit show for the Concoctory Hackerspace, a collective dedicated to makers, hackers and general weirdos.
8) Nerd Nite Denver Nerd Nite is a lecture series that takes fun, nerdy topics, adds booze and generates fun. The inaugural Denver nerd night pairs lectures on two of geekdom's greatest hits -- zombies and artificial intelligences -- into one evening of inebriated academia. Where else can you discuss the ethics of killing the undead, find out when you will be replaced by a computer and catch a nice buzz while you do it? Okay, maybe in your basement, but where else can you do it with fifty or so other drunk nerds?Next Page
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Denver art and theater scene.
More Arts News
- Just in Time for Valentine's Day: A Sweet Deal on Tickets to Artopia 2016
- Bruce Dern to Be Honored at Twelfth Annual Boulder International Film Festival
- Steet Style: Ka'uilani Sterling Sports a Winning Look in a Sea of Orange and Blue
- Violist Basil Vendryes and Colorado Young Sinfonia Make Beautiful Music Together