The Ten Best Spots for Shopping, Eating and Hanging Out on South Broadway's Antique Row
For decades Antique Row on South Broadway has been a one-stop shopping experience for people looking to fill their homes with one-of-a-kind furniture and vintage goods. This Saturday, August 9, the Antique Row Merchant's Association is hosting a big block party to show off its eclectic vendors, which have expanded from collectable sellers to include eateries, bookstores, bars and more. The area that was once known for some cranky antique dealers wants to reintroduce Denverites to the newly cheerful and vibrant collection of shops. In advance of tomorrow's festivities, we've compiled a list of our top ten places to eat, shop and hang out on Antique Row.
10) Corky's Antiques 1449 South Broadway Corky's Antiques is a true, old-school shop, offering a wide selection of fine wood furniture, artwork, lamps and other vintage pieces for the home, collected by a merchant who specializes in restoration and the purchase and selling of full estates. During this weekend's block party, Corky's will be hosting a warehouse liquidation sale with excellent deals on beautiful one-of-a-kind housewares, furniture and more.
A Kit Hevron Mahoney oil painting commissioned by Craig Hospital.
9) Brushstrokes Studio-Gallery 1487 South Broadway This wonderful gallery is home to an eclectic group of acclaimed painters that not only showcase their work within the space, but also use it as their studios. Visitors are welcome to come in and see the differing styles of John K. Harrell, Kit Hevron Mahoney, Anita Mosher and Kelly Berger while watching them work; you can also inquire about commissioned pieces and large-scale projects.
8) Capital Tea 1450 South Broadway Tea connoisseurs and herbal drink novices alike will find something to love at this little neighborhood tea room and restaurant that opened in 2006. In addition to more than 75 kinds of tea, you'll also find a full food menu bursting with salads, sandwiches, quiches and desserts to complement any piping hot cup.
7) Heidelberg Antiques 1460 South Broadway Specializing in European and Black Forest antiques, Heidelberg Antiques is packed neatly with hand-carved sculptures, fine china, a wall of skeleton keys and all sorts of unique knick-knacks. It's the kind of store where you can spend hours browsing -- and still have to come back for more. Keep reading for six more great spots on Broadway.
6) Maria Empanada 1298 South Broadway A bigger and much roomier version of the original Maria Empanada opened on South Broadway earlier this year to much acclaim. And it was deserved, because this Argentinean café and bakery serves up mouth-watering, golden-crusted treats of both sweet and savory varieties, all made from scratch, in-house.
5) Turn of the Century Antiques 1475 South Broadway A unique vintage store, Turn of the Century Antiques has an unmatched collection of antique German, American and French dolls. The store also acts as a full-service, museum-quality restoration center for figurines and their accessories. Whether you're looking to buy, sell or get a piece appraised, this shop is a doll collector's dream.
4) La Cour 1643 South Broadway This spring Denver got a little piece of Paris: La Cour, an elegant art bar with a wonderful atmosphere. This is a great place to grab a drink and a fancy snack while perusing work by both established and up-and-coming local artists, while enjoying live jazz on special nights each month. Bonus points for the patio, a perfect spot for South Broadway people-watching. Keep reading for three more of the best spots on South Broadway.
3) Gallagher Books 1428 South Broadway Book nerds, welcome to paradise. Gallagher Books houses rare, collectable and out-of-print publications, from children's reads to historical pieces. First-run, original printings, one-of-a-kind books and rare posters can be found at this treasure trove of fine paper work.
2) Lush Life 1745 South Broadway A great place to find and sell home furnishings, Lush Life prides itself on stocking the best in both vintage and modern furniture and home accessories. The consignment shop is pretty picky when it comes to what it will and won't sell, and with good reason: Set one foot inside Lush Life and you'll feel like you've walked into an interior design dream.
1) Black Crown Lounge 1446 South Broadway Combining the best of both worlds, Black Crown Lounge offers a hand-selected antique shopping experience within the friendliness of a cocktail bar and brunch spot. This cushy, multi-level living room and piano bar has couches you can sit on (and buy) and lavish furnishings that are just the right amount of over-the-top (you can buy those, too). Plus, Black Crown Lounge has a private party room and two secluded patios that will make any early evening drink feel fancy.
Get the Arts and Theater Newsletter
Weekly information keeping you in the know when it comes to the art and theater scene. Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events.