Twelve ways to celebrate St. Patrick's Day this weekend
Whether you're Irish or just like to celebrate St. Patrick, there's plenty to do in Denver this weekend. Green beer will be flowing in pubs across the city, but for an all-ages good time, try one of the concerts booked for the holiday. We've rounded up some of the best events -- some day, some night, some family-friendly, some adults-only. And a handful are even free!
See also: - The St. Patrick's Day party list: Where to drink and get your green on in Denver - Photos: 2013 Irish Pub Crawl gets a head start on St. Patrick's Day - Videos: CU Boulder does St. Patrick's Day Project X style
12) Denver ShamRock & Roll at ViewHouse Eatery Bar & Rooftop (Saturday, free) Join Westword for a post-parade blowout at the brand new ViewHouse Eatery Bar & Rooftop starting at 2 p.m. The massive restaurant and entertainment emporium will host live music with Bop Skizzum, Rachel & The Kings, Calder's Revolvers, Monroe Monroe and DJ Bedz at the turntables.
11) Paddy's On Pearl on South Pearl Street (Saturday, Free) Head to the 1500 block of South Pearl Street for a day of Irish festivities. Mulligan Stew, JIMO & the Piper and The Parker Brothers will perform, as will traditional Celtic stepdancers. Street vendors will be on hand, and the Killian's Irish Red and Guinness Stout will be flowing.
10) St. Baldrick's Charity Event at Fado Irish Pub (Friday, donation) This decade-old event invites gutsy participants to Fado Irish Pub today to have their heads shaved for charity -- childhood cancer research. Participants of all ages can sign up as singles or teams to gather donations and lose hair, all for a good cause.
9) Gobs O'Phun St. Patrick's Day concert at Swallow Hill Music Hall (Friday, $16-18) Inspired by The Quiet Man, John Wayne's movie set in Ireland, today's performance from Gobs O'Phun will incorporate the music of the film as well as snippets of dialogue. The entertaining evening will also feature storytelling songs and a dose of Irish history, as well as plenty of chances for audience participation.
8) Paddy's Festival at Punch Bowl - Social Eat & Drink (Saturday and Sunday, $10 to $15) This two-day festival transforms the massive Punch Bowl - Social into a full-on headquarters for St. Patrick's Day, with food, fun, festivities and plenty to drink. All-ages during the day, adults-only at night, the celebration will focus on live music from Potato Pirates, Young Austin Band, Rachel & the Kings, Portabello Road, Bop Skizzum, Synthetic Elements, MTHDS and Monroe Monroe.
7) 2nd Annual St. Patrick's Day Festival in Olde Town Arvada (Saturday, free) Now in its second year, this celebration, hosted by the Old Town Arvada Association, offers a lineup of great live music and Irish festivities along the town's main drag. Food, drinks, arts and crafts and an Irish spirit contest will fill the day, along with the sounds of such bands as Drienka, the Gromet, the Duke Street Kings and Wild Love Tigress.
6) St. Patrick's Day concert with Colorado Symphony and Colcannon at Boettcher Concert Hall (Saturday, $25 to $88) Colcannon, a Denver-based Irish music group, will collaborate with the Colorado Symphony to honor St. Patrick in storytelling and song. Tonight's performance will also act as the premiere of Colcannon's new orchestral work, O'Toole and the Goose, the poetic musical story of King O'Toole, his pet goose and the elusive St. Kevin.
5) St. Patrick's Day celebration at Baker Street Pub & Grill, four locations (Sunday, free) All four of the Baker Street Pub & Grill locations across the state will host a big Irish party on March 17. Food and drink will be the focus, with plenty of live music, free green beaded necklaces and tons of other giveaways throughout the day.
4) The Lost Weekend at Fado Irish Pub (Saturday and Sunday, $10 to $15) With a weekend of both family-friendly and adult-oriented events, Fado Irish Pub has the St. Patrick's Day holiday covered. Outdoors, live music from Clancy's, Big Paddy, the Indulgers, Celtic Steps, That 80's Band and Under a Blood Red Sky will be featured both days; there will also be games just for kids. Inside, televisions will broadcast international rugby games starting at 8:30 a.m. Saturday. And, yes, there will be plenty to drink.
3) Chuck Roy and His Little Naughty Leprechauns at Comedy Works (Sunday, $12) Chuck Roy will gather some of his favorite standup comedians for an evening of behaving badly. Known around Denver as "The Bear," the pot enthusiast has opened for the likes of Louis Anderson and hosts the annual Film on the Rocks summer movie series.
2) St. Patrick's Day Parties at Vesper Lounge (Saturday and Sunday, menu price) Step into Vesper Lounge this weekend during the debut of its daytime hours and enjoy an Irish feast -- maybe a plate of corned beef hash and cabbage, a St. Patrick's Day pita and some Scotch eggs. Wash it down with a Guinness or one of the restaurant's many Irish whiskeys and beers. Ping-pong tournaments will be going both days, with plenty of chances for cash prizes.
1) St. Patrick's Day Parade in downtown Denver (Saturday, free) Kicking off at 10 a.m. in the Coors Field parking lot at 27th and Blake streets, this annual Irish celebration is one of the largest parades in the country. For more than fifty years, the Denver tradition has filled downtown streets with celebratory songs and Irish pride. Secure a prime viewing location for the parade by checking out the 2013 route.
Did we miss one of your favorite St. Patrick's Day events? Post the information in the comments section below. For more events, visit the St. Patrick's Day section of our event calendar.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Denver art and theater scene.
More Arts News
- What Do You Love in This State? Enter DCI's "Crushing" on Colorado Contest
- Just in Time for Valentine's Day: A Sweet Deal on Tickets to Artopia 2016
- Bruce Dern to Be Honored at Twelfth Annual Boulder International Film Festival
- Steet Style: Ka'uilani Sterling Sports a Winning Look in a Sea of Orange and Blue