Weird out the children in Children's Hospital and more new release picks for May 24, 2011
5. Dirt 3 (Xbox 360, PS3) Racing is one of the oldest genres of video games, but countless iterations across multiple platforms over the years have heeded little in the way of innovation. When it boils down to it, you drive from one point to another in a fancy car. But really, that's what people want, so that's exactly what Dirt 3 delivers. The big appeal here is diversity -- where many driving games go for just one style, Dirt 3 throws in the whole kitchen sink.
4. Comics on Trial It seems like every form of art has had a landmark case at one point or another, and comics are no different. In 1954, Congress held a set of hearings that nearly killed the industry by claiming comics contributed to juvenile delinquency. Ah, it was a different world back then. If you've ever wondered exactly what was going down in those hearings, now is your chance to find out. This is first in a series, with the second book picking up with the DC vs Victor Fox suit. Tons of great stuff is packed in here, with depositions by legends like William Gaines and Milton Caniff. These are the hearing that eventually read to the creation of the Comics Code Authority -- thereby ruining everyone's fun.
3. Transformers Vault: The Complete Transformers Universe -- Showcasing Rare Collectibles and Memorabilia by Pablo Hidalgo It's actually a bit surprising that nobody has published a book detailing the history of the Transformers before, but now that Hasbro has opened its archives, author Pablo Hidalgo finally had a chance to see where it all came from. That includes more than 250 images of memorabilia, including concept sketches, character profiles, prototypes and more. If you were a fan of the robots in disguise in your youth, this might be one of the only times you'll be able to really find out what they were all about.
2. Blind Allegiance to Sarah Palin by Frank Bailey, Ken Morris and Jeanne Devon Generally speaking, attacking Sarah Palin is an easy task and one many have already taken on as their life work. But this one's a little different in that Frank Bailey was not only an early supporter of Sarah Palin, but also a campaign staff member. Because of that, he was exposed to a different side of Palin than many of us saw, and although this looks like a biography about her, it's actually a sickening look at Bailey and his own inability to act or uphold his own principles when she put him in situations he wasn't comfortable with. To be honest, he reads like a bit of a whimpering wuss.
1. Children's Hospital: Complete First and Second Season (DVD) Initially started as a web series, Children's Hospital is quite possibly one of the most twisted medical shows in existence. That's because it's a parody that now resides on Adult Swim, meaning the already over-the-top show has a slot on what is already the weirdest block of television. Date rape, giving birth to full-size human beings, jokes involving botched surgeries -- it's all here. If you've watched a medical drama at any point in your life, you know what to expect, but it doesn't come in the form you're used to.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Denver art and theater scene.