BEST OF DENVER® 2001
In the end, Fred saved our sanity.
The Best of Denver 2001 ballots had arrived by e-mail, over the Web, under the front door and via the U.S. Postal Service. We'd wept our way through hundreds of votes for McDonald's as Best French Fries, chewed on Tums through hundreds more for Taco Bell as Best Taco, and tossed out a big stack of bloody ballots stuffed with votes for Best Tattoo Artist -- a category that didn't even appear on our Best of Denver 2001 Readers' Poll.
And then we found Fred.
Fred is the shop dog at Miss Talulah's. Technically, our poll hadn't requested nominations for the town's Best Shop Dog, either, but that didn't stop 69 of Fred's fans from signing a pro-Fred petition -- complete with photo of Fred, tongue lolling and wearing what could be a whistle or maybe a chile pepper around his neck: "As the fuzzy, furry greeter of Miss Talulah's, Fred knows what it takes to make each customer feel important. A dedicated employee, rain or shine, Fred remains focused on the customer. Always making sure that no one enters the shop unnoticed nor leaves without first receiving some love. Support Fred in his quest for greatness!"
We were moved, even tempted, to so anoint Fred, but his quest faced an insurmountable hurdle: We'd previously determined that Miss Talulah's, his home turf, was a truly great addition to Denver's shopping scene and had already tapped it for a Best of Denver award. To also stroke Fred would be a bit excessive, we decided. Still, we appreciated the efforts of Fred's supporters, our readers, who were willing to go the extra distance for a dog.
Like all of the people, places and pooches mentioned in this year's Best of Denver, our readers are something to celebrate.
Thanks to the recently released Census Bureau statistics, we know what Denver looks like at the start of the millennium. How many of us there are, and what ethnic backgrounds we claim. Who lives in the city, who lives in the suburbs. We even know how many of us own our own homes. But these statistics don't capture the Denver we see every day, the one our readers share when they fill out their Readers' Poll ballots.
Through those readers, we discovered:
The Best Place to Find a Famed Photo of Tom Jones in a Pair of Speedos and Boxing Gloves is Eccentricals, which just happens to be the spot we'd already picked for the Best Store Anywhere on Colfax Avenue. The Best Way to Spend a Rainy Saturday Afternoon is looking up your house's history in the Western History Department of the Denver Public Library, an institution that's a frequent high-flyer in our Best of Denver issues. The Best Place to Go When There's Nothing Else to Do at Night is Dave & Busters, where you can always watch a bar fight.
We also discovered that, in addition to being wise, our readers are a funny bunch. They have no more patience with the fabricated "Convergence Corridor" nickname than we do, and suggested that the best replacement might be Mess Trap, Denvoid, Malfunction Junction or Blow Hole. For Wellington Webb's next job, they suggested concessions manager at Invesco Field, chauffeur for Wilma, baggage handler at DIA or superintendent at DPS. Readers got even more creative with the Best Next Job for Wilma Webb, suggesting she consider being a fine-arts dealer in Africa or an Avon lady.
Clearly, Denverites have a healthy disrespect for the trappings of power, which they made clear with their second-place pick for Best Power Lunch. Jamba Juice, anyone?
Find more Best of Denver® winners:
- Best Free EntertainmentMayor's Millennium Celebration
- Best Singing NunJoyce Castle
Dialogues of the Carmelites
- Best Uncategorizable RecordingCarnival Detournement
- Best Evidence of Life on the Alternative SceneILK @ Pirate
- Best Blues RecordingWhite African
- Best New Online Music Resourcewww.bandguru.com
- Best Musical Advertisements for a Local VenueRoad Rock V.1 and Red Rocks Live
- Best Tuesday-Night EntertainmentSo What
- Best Italian RestaurantSantino's on Downing
- Best Wine ListThe Fourth Story Restaurant & Bar
- Best Outdoor Patio -- RuralThe Wildflower at the Lodge at Vail
- Best New Grocery-Store AmenityImperial Chinese Restaurant
- Best Chocolates Dedicated to Lucille BallRocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
- Best Japanese RestaurantDomo Japanese Country Foods Restaurant
- Best Thai RestaurantThai Bistro
- Best Kosher PizzaPete's Pizza
- Best Cheap BreakfastMiguel's Breakfast Club
- Best Fish and ChipsHemingway's Key West Grille
- Best BakeryGateaux
- Best Applesauce DoughnutsDutch Boy Donuts
- Best Paddy MeltStockyards Inn
- Best Tea Service for TotsCountry Gardens Tea House
- Best Soft ServeCJ's Frozen Custard
- Best Over-the-Top Burger3rd Ave. Eclectic Burgers and Cuisine
- Best Place to Find Replacements for Old Light FixturesSpecialty Architectural Products
- Best New-Style DrugstoreClearspring Pharmacy
- Best Quirky New BoutiqueMiss Talulah's
- Best Place to Buy Pieces of Denver HistoryArchitectural Salvage, Inc.
- Best Mountain-Town Antique StoreRalston Bros. Antiques
- Best Store at FlatIron CrossingColdwater Creek
- Best Store at Cherry Creek Shopping CenterMetropolitan Museum of Art Gift Shop
- Best Funny Signs of the TimesRoad-Rage Comedy Road Signs
- Best Kids' OuterwearLittle Mountain Outdoor Gear for Kids
- Best Place to Get a MuttsterpieceJack Atkinson
- Best Free Pet ServiceBehavior Help Line
- Best Politically Correct Gift WrapThe Artisan Center
- Best Pie PlatesMudworks Pottery
- Best Hardware Store for the Handyman-ImpairedAce Hardware Neighborhood Solutions
- Best Asian ChatchkesTruong An
- Best Inexpensive Dry CleanersContinental Cleaners
- Best Bike Ride -- TrailMountain Lion Trail
- Best Place for a Less Active Family ReunionComo Christian Camp
- Best Place to Do It in the MoonlightDream Canyon
- Best Dinosaur Tracks --OutdoorsDinosaur Ridge
- Best University of Colorado AthleteMandy Nightingale
CU Buffs Women's Basketball
- Best Rockies ParkingColorado Coalition for the Homeless
- Best Mile High Fans' Salute to the BroncosLoudest stadium roar
- Best Sports Dynasty -- Kids' DivisionColorado Rush Soccer Club
- The Ten Best Movie Events in Denver in April
- Rest of the Best of Denver 2015 — and Kyle Clark's "Job Well Done"
- Reader: Why Go Out for Burgers When You Can Make the Best at Home?
- The Five Best Happy Hours in Denver
- Finding the Best Burger in Denver
- Reader: Mercantile Is Definitely the Best New Restaurant in Denver
- The Ten Best New Restaurants in Denver
- The Best of Denver 2015: Music Winners
- Why Mercantile Dining & Provision Is the Best New Restaurant
- Another Taste of Our Best New Restaurants, 2010-2014
- A Look Back at Our Best New Restaurants, 2005-2009
- Last Chance to Vote on Best Annual Festival, Best Arts District and More
- Reader: Best Italian Restaurants Include Panzano, Parisi, Colore, Romano's
- Announcing the Finalists for the 2015 Best of Denver Readers' Poll