Best of Denver ® 2014
This is the thirtieth-anniversary edition of the Best of Denver, and the city’s never looked better.
In many ways, it’s almost unrecognizable from the Denver we celebrated in the Best of Denver 1984, which hit the much-less-crowded streets almost seven years after this paper published its first edition, in 1977. That first Best of Denver was the biggest issue we’d published up to that point — and about the size of an average weekly edition today. We were still a decade away from archiving our print stories at westword.com, two decades away from pushing our Best of Denver Readers’ Poll vote there, three decades away from today, when we publish dozens of new stories on our four blogs every weekday, including Best of Denver lists that highlight not just the winners, but top contenders.
Since that first Best of Denver issue, we’ve handed out more than 15,000 awards — thirty of which are celebrated in Noah Van Sciver’s illustrated look at the Best of Denver through the decades that starts on page 12. Some categories — Best Mobile Hot Tub? — have disappeared, reflecting how trends come and go in a boom-and-bust-and-boom town; others, like the sections devoted to recreational pot, are just beginning to heat up.
Through thirty years of Best Ofs, two things have never changed. Although we’ve always polled our readers for their votes in dozens of categories, they represent just a fraction of the total categories in the Best of Denver — and the readers’ choices are noted by a line at the end of the editorial pick. (Why? Short answer: For nearly thirty years, our readers picked McDonald’s for Best French Fries, and while we respect the popular vote, an issue packed with answers like that would have all the nutrition of a fast-food meal.) And from the start, we made the cow the symbol of the Best of Denver. Back in the about-to-bust days of 1984, city boosters were worried that Denver’s cowtown reputation was holding us back. But from what? Over the years, residents — Denver natives and newcomers alike — have wisely come to recognize that this city’s Western heritage helps make Denver special. Entrepreneurs can wear cowboy boots and write computer code; city slickers can take in the National Western Stock Show one day, a rock concert the next.
The Best of Denver has become a giant beast of an issue that celebrates so much about what we love in this city, including its cowtown heritage. While we can’t honor everything every year, taken as a whole, the thirty years of the Best of Denver add up to one big love letter to our town. And as we send this 31st edition to press, we’re still high on the Mile High City.
Find more Best of Denver® winners:
- Best First-Date RestaurantAce
- Cannes Report: Timothy Spall Gives the Performance of His Career in Mr. Turner
- Best ReubenBagel Deli
- Best Breakfast TacosMoontower Tacos
- Best Free Chips and SalsaEmilio's
- Best Place to Drink a Latte or a Beer While Playing TriviaRooster and Moon Coffee Pub
- Best PosoleLa California Panaderia
- Best Place to Drink a Latte or a Beer While Getting Your Bike RepairedDenver Bicycle Cafe
- Best Vegan Dish in a Non-Vegan RestaurantSputnik
- Best Vegetarian Dish in a Non-Vegetarian RestaurantFruition
- Best Vegetarian RestaurantNative Foods
- Best Salad Where You'd Least Expect ItScratch Burrito and Happy Tap
- Best Hot DogBiker Jim's Gourmet Dogs
- Best Sandwich ShopLas Tortas
- Best HamburgerHumboldt
- Best Restaurant PatioSassafras
- Best Outdoor MallAspen Grove Lifestyle Center
- Best Holiday Craft ShowHoliday Mancraft
- Best Indoor MallCherry Creek Shopping Center
- Best Pop-Up StoreDenver Fashion Truck
- Best Small-Business EmpirePandora/Soul Haus
- Best Fashion-Supporting SpaceFashion Design Center Denver
- Best Collision of Couture and ArtGoldyn
- Best Used MenswearFound Above Ground
- Best Colorado EverythingI Heart Denver
- Best Colorado HatsColorado Beanies
- Best Colorado T-ShirtsColoradical
- Best MonstersA Monster to Love
- Best Fabric Shop for QuiltersTreelotta
- Best Feel-Good Home Improvement StoreGo Green Warehouse
- Best Place to Furnish the Upcycled HomeStina
- Best Environmentally Correct House PaintCasa Verde Paint
- Best BroncoPeyton Manning
- Best Radio Sports ShowThe Locker Room 102.3 ESPN Denver
- Best TV SportscasterLionel Bienvenu
- Best Sports AnnouncerKyle Speller
- Best Coach — CollegeTad Boyle
- Best Coach — ProfessionalPatrick Roy
- Best Sports Team — CollegeUniversity of Colorado men's basketball
- Best MascotDenver Boone
Westword readers went wild this year on the Best of Denver 2014 Readers' Poll, voting on their choices for everything from Best Restaurant to Best Bronco to Best Hair on a TV Personality -- in both male and female categories. The competition was fierce, but when all the votes were...more
- Reader: Best Italian Restaurants Include Panzano, Parisi, Colore, Romano's
- Announcing the Finalists for the 2015 Best of Denver Readers' Poll
- Polls Close Sunday Night for the First Round of Best of Denver Voting
- Twelve Best Chef's Counters in Denver
- Best of Denver 2015 Readers' Poll: Tell Us Your Favorites!
- Best of Denver 2015 Readers' Poll: Nominate Your Favorite Bands and Venues!
- Best of Denver 2015 Readers' Poll: Dish Up Your Favorites!
- Ten Best Commercial Signs on Central Colfax
- The Five Best Womenswear Boutiques in Denver
- The 31 Best Colorado Albums of 2014
- Ten of the Best Colorado Music Videos of 2014
- Why 2014 Was a Breakout Year for Experimental Music in Denver
- The Ten Best Tattoo Shop Names in Denver
- Ten Best Commercial Signs on East Colfax