10 teen pop stars who fell from the public's grace
Lindsay Lohan may or may not go to prison (again) because she may or may not have assaulted a staff member of the rehab facility she's staying in. Her parents must be so proud. Oh, wait...never mind. Lohan, whose music career was brief and mostly predicated upon cleavage, joins a pantheon of fallen teen pop stars.
More often than not, teen idols find that their fame is fleeting, and pretty damn cruel, to boot. It's a high perch from which to fall, and the air up there is rarefied -- which accounts for some of the brain damage that must have occurred to warrant some of their later actions in life. Below, the inner circle of teen pop-star hell Li-Lo's working to join.
10. Michael Jackson The King of Pop was also the biggest pop idol. And you know the old saying: the bigger they are, the harder they fall. And fall Michael did, over and over again. First it was just that his music was less and less what the world was looking for anymore; his true fans stuck with him, but his musical influence was waning. Then came the insanity: the endless plastic surgery, the elephant man's bones, the hyperbaric chambers, the pet monkeys, the Neverland Ranch, the Macaulay Culkins and Emmanuel Lewises. And finally, there came the accusations of things that are best left to Catholic priests. None of which are good. This was a fall that went through schadenfreude, and out the other side to just feeling crappy about the whole thing again. The only thing that made sense in MJ's strange life? That he had a strange death.
9. Hanson A pop trio of brothers that had their day in the musical sun, got a little red (fair complexions, you know), and came inside only to be almost immediately forgotten by the public. I'm not sure there's much left to say, except the inscrutable wisdom that will haunt the trio for the remainder of their unpopular days: Mmm-bop.
8. Mandy Moore Where once she was one of teen-pop music's most favored daughters, Mandy Moore has more recently been demoted to "touching death of the week" on Grey's Anatomy, where her character wore a colostomy bag. I'm not sure there's anything else you can add to a fall from grace that ends with "colostomy bag."
7. Leif Garrett Leif Garrett was the height of cool during his heyday, which coincided with the sex and drugs of the 1970s...so his particular addictions of choice make sense, given that. And his fall from idolatry also coincided with something - this time, a car accident just shy of his 18th birthday (and right around the time of the release of his third album Same Goes for You, which did not have a single that broke the top 100). Garrett was high on Quaaludes at the time, and the accident left his best friend and passenger a paraplegic. His drug use spiraled out of control, and he went in and out of rehab (and Behind the Music episodes) for years. In 2010, he was once again arrested on drug possession charges, this time for black tar heroin. Ah, Leif. Some things just don't change.
6. LeeAnn Rimes Where once LeeAnn was the wunderkind darling of country music - she traded on her innocence and youth for most of her early career - LeeAnn Rimes has more recently revealed herself to be something of a big fat tramp. And that's not a comment on her weight, but rather a comment on just how big a tramp she's been. Marital infidelity and wrecking homes? Bad form, prom queen. Bad form.Next Page
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.