A $10,000 Led Zeppelin shirt? The next ten highest-selling band T-shirts
Grab the Guinness Book of World Records, because we've got a ridiculous tale to tell. Earlier this week, a man in Australia purchased a Led Zeppelin T-shirt for $10,000, making it the largest sum anyone has paid for a vintage band shirt. That doesn't mean there aren't shirts that are valued higher -- there are -- but nobody has actually purchased one publicly through eBay. In light of this ridiculous news, we've decided to tally up the highest selling shirts we could find records for. How much would you be willing to pay?
10. $699 Venom Who the hell would have thought a Venom shirt would make this list? Somehow, it did. We'll give you bonus points if you can count all the different satanic symbols in less than five seconds.
9. $749 David Bowie - "Ziggy Stardust" We'd guess this one came from the '72/'73 tour, but we don't know for certain. It is a pretty weird-looking shirt, though, with Bowie decked out in a pink suit, sporting red hair and riding what looks like that gross ribbon candy your grandma keeps around.
8. $749 The Damned This one is a bit tough to make out, but as far as we can tell, it's a vampire and a werewolf with what may very well be a smiling moon in the background.
7. $750 The Runaways We have no fucking clue why this thing sold for what it did. Seriously. No clue.
6. $800 Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue" The Rolling Thunder Revue was a concert tour in 1975 and 1976 that included the likes of Joan Baez, Roger McGuinn, Bob Neuwirth, Kinky Friedman and more. The exact rarity of this shirt isn't known, but considering the time period, we'd venture a guess that few people held onto theirs.
5. $801 John Lennon and Yoko Ono People love this shitty John Lennon and Yoko Ono crap; from the records to the shirts, it's guaranteed to sell like crazy. This one is extra-special, because it includes John and Yoko hanging as ornaments with a "Merry Christmas" note.
4. $1,000 Nirvana Sub Pop Speaking of John Lennon and Yoko Ono, here's Nirvana's take on that iconic image. Gee, wonder why this is rare?
3. $1,000 Metallica "Metal Up Your Ass" This one sold for a grand because it has an awesome saying on it. Also, Metallica fans are fucking crazy.
2. $1,000 David Bowie - "The Man Who Fell to Earth" We haven't a clue what the story behind this shirt is, but it was apparently pretty damn rare. We knew we shouldn't have invested in the Rip Torn The Man Who Fell to Earth shirts.
1. $1,000 James Brown, "I'm Black and I'm Proud" Uh, possibly the coolest shirt ever -- and probably worth well over a grand. Consolation prize: $666 for a Sabbath Bloody Sabbath shirt
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.