Boulder's five biggest hipster bars
"Where are you drinking tonight?"
See Also: - Denver's biggest hipster bars - Five best midsize venues in LoDo and Ballpark - Denver's ten best karaoke bars - Denver's ten best dance clubs - Denver's ten best jukeboxes - Five best places to buy vinyl
Yesterday, we gave you a list of Denver's biggest hipster bars. Of course, we'd be completely remiss if we left out our neighbors to the northwest. So with this in mind, here are the five biggest hipster bars in Boulder, the best places to drink and see (and be seen) in the People's Republic.
5. Laughing Goat, 1709 Pearl Street Laughing Goat is an artisan coffeehouse by day and eccentric lounge by night. With one of the most interesting and diverse crowds you can get in Boulder, it offers live music, poetry readings and open-mike nights -- along with a surprising selection of domestic and internationally renowned beers. Go for superb people-watching and pretty designs made in your coffee foam by somewhat melancholy but helpful baristas.
4. Mountain Sun Pub and Brewery, 1535 Pearl Street We know what you're thinking: "Mountain Sun, that brewery with all the hippies and dusty tapestries?" Exactly. The thing is, since the revolution of freshly crafted local beer, the face of Mountain Sun has changed. Now, the scruffy, flannel-clad, skinny-jeaned crowd and the devoted regulars commingle to enjoy an authentic microbrewery experience. Spend a few hours playing board games, sampling the ample selection on the rotating taps and feasting on nachos and burgers. Don't miss Stout Month, in February, when the staff pumps out dozens of varieties of stouts while donning hipster-worthy chops and 'staches.
3. The Kitchen [Next Door], 1035 Pearl Street The Kitchen [Next Door], the cool and relaxed progeny of more upscale parents, The Kitchen and The Kitchen [Upstairs], has become one of the best new places to drink in Boulder since its opening last year. Check it out on a Sunday night, when they have live music and half-price Colorado craft beer pitchers.
2. Bitter Bar, 835 Walnut Street Bitter Bar appeals to the intelligent hipster. Enter this dark and swanky bar and marvel at the ultra-knowledgeable mad scientists behind the bar, who mix up some of the most interesting (and seasonal!) cocktails in Boulder. Come through the secret back door and try the Re-Tox, a concoction made with Caprock Gin, fresh lemon, maple syrup and cayenne pepper.
1. Sundown Saloon, 1136 Pearl Street The "Sundowner," or "Scumdowner," or "Slumdowner" has been the diviest home to locals and students alike for more than 25 years. Descend the stairs and anything can happen. You'll be hit by the sweet stench of stale beer and bodily fluids, and your clothes will smell like it for three days. Some people would turn around and flee at this point, but any real hipster will enter with joy and relish. With great nightly specials, including a $3 shot of whiskey and mug of PBR on Wednesdays, pool tables, and a classic jukebox, the hip reign supreme, especially when campus empties out in the summer and the true soul of the 'Downer is revealed.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.