Footloose at Film on the Rocks tonight: Our five favorite tunes to get you in the mood
Sure, everyone loves summer, but here in Denver we have one more reason than most places: Film on the Rocks. And we're smiling just a little bit wider and shaking our booties a little harder today because the movie showing tonight is Footloose. Fight the man with dance! Everyone knows how uptight small towns and their deep religious minds can be, and this music speaks to the desire in all of us to, you know, kick off our Sunday shoes and cut footloose! Here are five of our favorite songs from the soundtrack.
5. Let's Hear It for the Boy - Deniece Williams It's always nice to know that even idiots can get hot girlfriends, and that's what this song is all about. Lame men all over the country should be singing the praises of Deniece Williams. Sure, "Let's Hear It for the Boy" is lame, cheesy and oh-so-'80s. It also happens to be the perfect song for Footloose: Ren is a rebel who may not be a typical Romeo, but he steals the ladies' hearts with his passion and love for dance. Yes, guys, sometimes it's that just that effin' easy.
4. Almost Paradise - Mike Reno and Ann Wilson This is one of those songs that completely screwed up the notion of love for many a woman. The terr-awesomeness of this song fits the movie's unrealistic setting and characters perfectly. Two people who hate their lives and have given up find each other and BOOM! They're knocking on heaven's door. Lines like "I swear that I can see forever in your eyes" are bound to strike a teeny romantic chord in your dark, cold, modern-day heart. Now, ask that girl to dance, and sway awkwardly until it ends.
MR H TO U
3. The Girl Gets Around - Sammy Hagar Thank Jesus and the '80s for Sammy Hagar and this kick-ass jam. The massive amount of guitar in this song (seriously -- the intro alone takes, like, a year) reminds you of the good ol' days when big hair and rebellion meant something, when a simple boy and a pastor's daughter could hook up and it would literally change the world -- or at least the town. And we all know there's nothing hotter than a religious girl gone bad. Just watch the chicken scene with the truck, people. Craaaazy! That girl gets around!
2. Holding Out for a Hero - Bonnie Tyler Women ask the question every day: Where have all the good men gone? Well, one's in Beaumont! It's hard to find any man in any movie with as much angst as Ren faces in this film; nothing is done with ease when it comes to this character. Everything is a battle, and he is ready and willing to face that fight -- with his attitude and awesome dance moves. His constant tossing of cassette tapes and pounding his fists in the air and on various objects just make us love him more. You know a guy means business when he smokes and is dramatic about...well, everything. We need a hero, and Ren is it!
1. FootLoose - Kenny Loggins If you don't start dancing when you hear this kick-ass Kenny Loggins song, you're dead inside. There's just something about kickin' off your Sunday shoes that makes us kick up our feet and cut footloose. It inspires you not to just tap your feet under your office desk, but to get up and dance. Hard. Even though we don't know half the lyrics, it doesn't really matter. Maybe it's the guitar. Maybe it's the beat. Maybe it's the sweet, soulful voice of Loggins. But no matter where you are when this baby comes on -- you can't help but lose your blues. Pretty soon, everybody cuts, everybody cuts...everybody cuts footloose!
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.