In honor of Mother's Day this weekend: A list of the music world's top five hottest mamas
Even though most of our moms aren't rock stars, some of them sure as hell seem like it. With their busy schedules and insane ability to multi-task, they deserve screaming fans and scads of cash. We know it's hard being just a suburban mom trying to juggle work and a family, so we got to thinking about how difficult it must be to throw fame into that mix.
With that in mind, we thought we'd give a little shout-out to some famous musician mamas who sing more than just lullabies. We know that these particular moms have round-the-clock nannies, chefs and drivers, but we also appreciate those rock star moms who aren't dropping their babies in the street or getting all cracked out in front of them. Here are a few music mamas who deserve the obligatory macaroni-encrusted picture of them, their kids and their roadies.
Gwen Renee Stefani
5. Gwen Stefani We understand it's cool to be the minis of one rock star parent, but two? SCORE! Gwen and Gavin Rossdale are not only stylish and disgustingly beautiful, but their offspring are pretty rad, as well. Stefani and Rossdale are snapped playing with their kids at every turn, and it's a refreshing sight compared to the drunken debauchery of some of their peers. Their two boys are named Kingston and Zuma, and just as a side note, please understand that only rock stars can get away with these names. If you live in the suburbs and wear fleece, you should not torture your children by giving them names like these. Honestly, you shouldn't torture them with the suburbs and fleece, either.
You probably think this blog is about you. Don't you? Don't you? Don't you???
4. Carly Simon This famous music mom has survived divorce, cancer and Ponzi schemes while raising two kids by ex-hubby James Taylor. Sarah and Benjamin were born in the '70s and have grown up in the rock-star lifestyle, but they still managed to turn out pretty damn cool. Both are heavily involved in politics and accomplished musicians in their own right. We think a good mom is measured not only by her mad parenting skillz, but by the way her kids turn out. And any famous mom that can keep her kids out of the clink, out of the tabloids, and somehow manage to raise them to be productive members of society? Bomb-diggity in our book.
3. Madonna It's just a guess, but we're thinking that Madonna losing her mother as a child caused this diva to raise her kids to have the life she never did. And by all outward appearances, it seems she's doing just that. She has four kids to date: Lourdes, Rocco, David and Mercy. Lourdes and Rocco are Madonna's biological minis, and Mercy and David were adopted from Malawi. We admire any woman who (even with the assistance of nannies) stands beside every decision she's ever made and makes no apologies for the kind of woman and mother she is. Keep on keepin' on, Mama Madge!
Killing me softly...with this piiiiicccc.
2. Lauryn Hill She decided to start a family with the then-already-married Rohan Marley (son of Bob Marley), and the two now have five children: Zion, Selah, Joshua, John and Marley. (Yes, the girl's name is apparently Marley Marley. Again, you can't get away with this.) It's not like we have firsthand knowledge of how awesome she is, but Lauryn's cool, smooth sound just makes us feel like she may be the coolest mom at mommy-and-me yoga. Imagine the sweet, sweet bedtime songs she sings to her kids; we're just hoping she throws in some No Woman No Cry to mix it up once in a while.
Not just Jenny from the block.
1. Jennifer Lopez You know your mom is cool when she's named the most beautiful woman alive. In People magazine's April issue, J. Lo was named just that. This 41-year-old mama of twins (Max and Emme) not only now co-hosts one of the most highly rated and loved television shows of our time (American Idol), but she also has kick-ass dance moves, CDs, and some seriously bad movies under her belt. Jennifer makes being a mom look easy, but she's also proving that hard work is necessary to take care of your kids. Nobody is gonna do it for you, and even though we question her choice in fugly hubbies.. we respect her work ethic and, of course, smokin' hot body. Thank you, Ms. Lo. Thank you.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.