Man vs. Festival: Five tips for staying alive through Warped Tour
Earlier this week, a Wichita man died at the Vans Warped Tour in Bonner Springs, Kansas. Although the cause of his death has yet to be determined, it's a safe bet that prolonged heat exposure might have had something to do it (temperatures reportedly climbed over a hundred degrees that day).
Heat, of course, is just one of the hazards festival goers are often faced with at these large, outdoor events. After the jump, you'll find a few tips to keep from frying and dying at the Denver stop of this weekend's Warped Tour at Invesco. Yes, we know most, if not all, of this stuff is common sense, but hey, you never know, it may save a life -- or at least keep you coming down with Hep C.
5. For God's Sake Don't Wear Flip-flops One of Bear Grylls' major survival techniques is to use common sense. We're pretty sure this falls under that rule. We don't know what planet you'd have to be from to think wearing flip-flops to an outdoor music festival is a good idea -- but if you're from there, we'd like to do an interview. For the rest of you, don't be an idiot: Wear sneakers.
4. Bring Disinfectant One of the worst aspects of any outdoor festival is the density of sweaty, bleeding men. If you find yourself caught in one of these situations, don't panic -- get your bearings and find a clearing. Once you have some room, apply as much disinfectant to your skin as possible to prevent the spread of Hepatitis C or whatever other disease is spreading around the festival. If that doesn't work, try making a raft out of balsa wood and getting to the nearest shower.
3. Wear Sunscreen, for Cryin' Out Loud Don't be stupid: Just because it's cloudy out doesn't mean you can go without sunscreen. If you absolutely have to go to the festival half-naked, cover yourself from head to toe and don't forget the tops of your ears. It'll also help prevent heatstroke, which Bear Grylls tells us is one of the most dangerous things about being in the sun all day.
2. Don't Drink Too Much Booze Yeah, we get that this is your one day for fun and you want to make the most out of it. Unfortunately, so does everyone else -- if you absolutely have to drink, balance it with food and don't even consider getting behind the wheel of your car. If you find your mind swimming in beer, we've heard it's possible to fashion a flotation device out of your pants.
1. Drink Lots of Water If Bear Grylls has taught us anything it's that we need to drink water -- even if that means giving yourself an enema in the middle of the ocean. We don't think there's any chance you'll find yourself in the middle of the ocean during Warped Tour (unless you didn't follow tip number two), but the point remains. We know the port-o-potties are gross, the water is overpriced and you plan on watching bands -- but a day out in the sun causes massive dehydration and heatstroke can kill you.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.