Mile Highlights: Shows announced/on sale this week, local radio playlists and top local sellers
Here's what's good in the Mile High City this week. On the concert front: Alison Krauss is coming to Red Rocks, while Godsmack, Megadeth and Disturbed are due at Comfort Dental for the The Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival and Wiz Khalifa brings his Rolling Papers World Tour to the 1STBANK. Meanwhile, on local radio, BLKHRTS, †WIN GR∆VES and DeVotchKa got spins. And finally, Radiohead, OFF!, DeVotchKa and Brotha Lynch Hung topped the charts at our local record stores. Click through for a full rundown.
This Just In: Shows Announced/On Sale
Nearly three years ago, Alison Krauss visited Red Rocks with Robert Plant, but on Friday, September 2, she's returning to the venue with her own act, Union Station, who is releasing Paper Airplane today on Rounder Records. Tickets ($34.50-$69.50) go on sale Saturday, April 16 at 10 a.m.
The Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival hits Comfort Dental Amphitheatre on Sunday, July 17 with Disturbed, Godsmack, Megadeth, Machine Head, Trivium and Unearth headlining the fest. Tickets ($25-$69.50) go on sale Friday, April 15 at 10 a.m.
Wiz Khalifa brings his Rolling Papers World Tour to the 1STBANK Center on Saturday, June 18. Tickets ($34.50-$40) go on sale Wednesday, April 20 at 10 a.m.
Here's a rundown of other recently added shows that are either on sale now or go on sale this week.
Bluebird Theater Air Dubai: Fri., May 20, 9 p.m., $8/$10. Big Business: With Torche and Helms Alee, Sun., July 31, 8 p.m., $15.50/$18. The Dodos: With Gauntlet Hair, Thu., June 2, 8 p.m., $15. Evergrey: With Sabaton, Powerglove, Blackguard and the Absence, Sun., Oct. 9, 8 p.m., $22.50/$25. Meat Puppets: Wed., June 29, 8 p.m., $16/$18. Miami Horror: With Steffi Graf and Flashlights, Sat., June 11, 9 p.m., $16/$18. A Place To Bury Strangers: With Overcasters, Fri., June 10, 9 p.m., $20/$22.
Boulder Theater Bootsy Collins: Mon., June 6.
Comfort Dental Amphitheatre Journey: With Foreigner and Night Ranger, Sat., Oct. 1, 7 p.m., $25-$135. Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival: With Disturbed, Godsmack, Megadeth, Machine Head, In Flames, Trivium and more, Sun., July 17.
1STBANK CENTER Goo Goo Dolls: With Michelle Branch and Parachute, Wed., Aug. 17, 7 p.m., $45-$62.50. Wiz Khalifa: With Big Sean and Chevy Woods, Sat., June 18, 7:30 p.m.
Fox Theatre John Butler Trio: With Brandi Carlile & NeedToBreathe, Thu., Aug. 11. Langhorne Slim: With Samantha Crain, Wed., June 8, 8:30 p.m., $12/$15. MartyParty: Sat., June 11, 8:30 p.m., $15/$18. Noah and the Whale: Fri., June 3, 8:30 p.m., $15. Robotic Pirate Monkey (EP release): With Slim Thugz, THiCK CHiCK and King, Wed., May 4, 8:30 p.m., $14/$16.
Larimer Lounge Biffy Clyro: Tue., May 24. Slim Cessna's Auto Club: Sun., June 26, $12/$15. This Will Destroy You: With Sleep ? Over and Pure X, Wed., May 25, $12/$14.
Ogden Theatre Ted Nugent: Tue., July 12, 8 p.m., $30.
Paramount Theatre Celtic Thunder: Sat., Oct. 22, 7:30 p.m., $44.50-$75.
Red Rocks Amphitheatre Alison Krauss & Union Station: Featuring Jerry Douglas, Fri., Sept. 2. Styx and Yes: Tue., July 26, 7 p.m., $39.50-$79.50.
Click through for Local Radio Playlists
Dialed In: Local Radio Playlists
Here's what the area's local-centric specialty radio shows were spinning this week. We're currently tracking the playlists from a number of different shows, including KTCL's Locals Only, Radio 1190's Local Shakedown, 99.5 the Mountain's Homegrown Show*, The Colorado Sound, which originates at KRFC and is re-broadcast all over Colorado, and The Colorado Wave, which is syndicated on a number of stations across the country. *Playlist unavailable
LOCALS ONLY (KTCL) 04.10.11
Break Through Beautiful - "Swell" Flashbulb Fires - "Ambulance" DB & the Catastrophe - "Solitaire Syndrome" BLKHRTS - "BLK S BTFL" Death Bed Confession - "Preacher" Synthetic Elements - "How Far" Boulder Acoustic Society - "How Many Times in a Day" Autumn Film - "Ships on the Ocean Floor" Beatsmith Atomic f/Scott Bertea - "Don't Burn Yourself" Lola Black - "Borracho" Knew - "Before It Ends" Myth of Modern Medicine - "Instant Gratification"
LOCAL SHAKEDOWN (RADIO 1190/KVCU) 04.08.11
DeVotchKa - "The Alley" Kal Cahoone - "Beside the Shalimar" Radical Knitting Circle - "Baltine Hammers" Woodsman - "Sunglass" Dustin Edge - "Calm" Tantric Picasso - "5 Years (Old)" t. Elias - "Welcome to Your Doom" Several Girls Galore - "Mine" Glass Hits - "Your Lack of Planning is Not My Emergency" Pina Chulada - "Appropriate Stranger" Bad Weather California - "If You Can Dance" Human Head Transplant - "Body/House" Hideous Men - "Sirens" Mike Marchant - "Animal Instincts" Candy Claws - "Snow Bear River Fire" Kissing Party - "I Just Want to Get Out of This Body" Paean - "California" Git Some - "Bought the Ticket, Take the Ride" †WIN GR∆VES - "Ruin the Night" Bear (the Ghost) - "Moses" Light Travels Faster - "Sign of the Times" Bedrockk - "Outer Space" Fissure Mystic - "Young Psychedelic Flowers" Stored Organs - "Alive"
THE COLORADO SOUND (KRFC) 04.10.11
Mohammed Alidu and the Bizung Family - "Land of Fire" Selasee Atiase - "African Gate" Big Head Todd and the Monsters - "Ramblin' On My Mind" John-Alex Mason - "Riding On" Fox Street Allstars - "Somebody In the World for You" Firefall - "Winds of Change" The Whiskey Bottles - "As I Dig This Grave" Rebecca Folsom - "Pretty Song" DeVotchKa - "Transliterator" Boulder Acoustic Society - "So Confused" Peter Sommer - "The Sweeper" Sixteen Horsepower - "Coal Black Horsepower" Slim Cessna's Auto Club - "Thy Will Be Done" Finnders & Youngberg - "Red Mountain Pass" Joe Johnson - "Don't Let Your Blue Eyes Cry" Paper Bird - "Lost Boys" Wil Key - "Can You Feel It?" Old Soul - "Oldest Religion" Born in The Flood - "If This Thing Should Spill" Nina Storey - "Love Me Enough" Earth, Wind & Fire - "Runnin'" Earth, Wind & Fire - "The One" Brad Goode - "Nightengale"
THE COLORADO WAVE 04.11.11
Danny Masters - "Dominion" AJ Salas - "Francis" Adam Stern - "Weights & Measures" Robert Eldridge - "Elightened" Bobby Wells - "My Heart To Yours" Gregory J Bachman - "Positive Flow" Chupacabra - "Soledad" Kim Ciara - "Sunday Island" Mike Banta - "Passion" Bruce Hayes - "Josh" Steve Glotzer - "Los Cabos Serenade" Julien Kasper - "8 - 11"
Click through for this week's Top Sellers
Top Sellers - 4/3/11
Radiohead's latest effort, King of Limbs, and OFF!'s First Four EPs both stayed on top at Twist & Shout and Wax Trax, respectively, for the second week in a row for the week ending April 10. DeVotchKa's 100 Lovers moved back into the number one slot at Albums on the Hill, while Brotha Lynch Hung's Coathanga Strangla, released last week on Strange Music, debuted on top at Independent Records.
01. DeVotchKa - 100 Lover
02. Elephant Revival - Break in the Clouds
03. Gregory Alan Isakov - This Empty Northern Hemisphere
04. Ray Davies - See My Friends
05. The Kills - Blood Pressures
06. Mountain Standard Time - Mountain Standard Time
07. Steve Martin & the Steep Canyon Rangers - Rare Bird Alert
08. John Common & Blinding Flashes of Light - Beautiful Empty
09. Vijay Iyer with Prasanna & Nitin Mitta - Tirtha
10. James Blake - James Blake
01. Brotha Lynch Hung - Coathanga Strangla
02. E-40 - Revenue Retrievin': Overtime/Graveyard
03. Wiz Khalifa - Black & Yellow
04. Hollywood Undead - American Tragedy
05. Adele - 21
06. Chris Brown - F.A.M.E.
07. Gucci Mane - Return of Mr. Zone 6
08. Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday
09. Snoop Dogg - Doggumentary
10. Jim Jones - Capo
01. Radiohead - King of Limbs
02. Robbie Robertson - How to Become Clairvoyant
03. Steve Martin - Rare Bird Alert
04. The Kills - Blood Pressures
05. The Strokes - Angles
06. Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
07. Adele - 21
08. Peter Bjorn & John - Gimmie Some
09. Raveonettes - Raven in the Grave
10. Bill Callahan - Apocalypse
01. OFF! - First Four EPs
02. Mountain Goats - All Eternals Deck
03. Earth - Angels of Darkness
04. Parts & Labor - Constant Future
05. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
06. Bright Eyes - The People's Key
07. Akron/Family - S/T II 08. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
09. The Raveonettes - Raven in the Grave
10. The Sounds - Something to Die For
01. Axwell - "Heart is King" (original mix)
02. Dino, Tiesto & Mark Knight - "Beautiful World" (original club mix)
03. Daniel Staub & Sean Miller - "Sinnerman" (original mix)
04. Richard Dinsdale - "DJ, You've Got My Love" (original club mix)
05. Fedde Le Grand - "Control Room" (original mix)
06. Diddy - Dirty Money - "Coming Home featuring Skylar Grey" (Dirty South mix)
07. PHNTM & Umek - "Dead Space" (original club mix)
08. 123XYZ - "Groove Amigos" (original club mix)
09. Gabriel Rocha - "Drunken Russian" (DJ PP edit)
10. Supernova & Kevin Saunderson - "Beat Me Back" (original club mix)
Black & Red
Atomic Records (formerly Cheapo Discs)
Jerry's Record Exchange
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.