Mile Highlights: This week's concert news, local radio playlists and top album sales
Here's what's good in the Mile High City this week: In October, Portishead hits the 1STBANK Center, Bring Me the Horizon comes to the Fillmore, and the Pains of Being Pure at Heart is due at the Bluebird. On local radio, Fierce Bad Rabbit, Veronica and Andy Hackbarth got some spins. Meanwhile, at our local record stores, Tech N9NE topped the chart at Independent Records, Fucked Up ruled at Wax Trax, Booker T. Jones reigned at Albums on the Hill and Bon Iver claimed the top spot at Twist & Shout. Click through for a full rundown.
This Just In: New Concerts and On-sale Dates
Portishead hits 1STBANK Center on October 27
As we reported yesterday, Portishead will visit the 1STBANK CENTER on Thursday, October 27 as part of the band's first North American tour in 13 years. General Admission and reserved tickets ($39.50-$49.50) go on sale Saturday, July 16 at 10 a.m.
Bring Me the Horizon, who hits the road next month in support of its latest Epitaph release, hit the Fillmore Auditorium on Sunday, October 2 with Parkway Drive, Architects (UK), Deez Nuts and While She Sleeps. Tickets ($22.50/$25) are on sale now.
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, who is still touring in support of Belong, will be at the Bluebird Theater on Tuesday, October 11. Tickets ($13.50/$15) go on sale Saturday, July 16 at 10 a.m.
Gillian Welch: Wed., Sept. 7.
Del the Funky Homosapien: With Bukue One and Serendipity Project, Sat., Sept. 10, 9 p.m., $22.50/$25. Fruit Bats: With Vetiver, Thu., Sept. 22. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart: Tue., Oct. 11, 8 p.m., $13.50/$15. Supersuckers: Sat., Oct. 8, 9 p.m., $15.75/$20. Young the Giant: Mon., Oct. 3, 8 p.m., $16.50/$20.
Chromeo: With Mayor Hawthorne & the County, Thu., Oct. 6, 9 p.m., $30/$35. Common Pitch: Featuring entertainment by Tennis, Fri., Aug. 19, 5:30 p.m., $21 Poco and Pure Prairie League: Sat., Sept. 24, 7 p.m., $30.
Hip-Hop Festival: Featuring Grouch & Eligh, Binary Star, Mane Rok, The ReMINDers and Input, Thu., Aug. 18.
Bring Me the Horizon: With Parkway Drive, Architects (UK), Deez Nuts and While She Sleeps, Sun., Oct. 2, 6 p.m., $22.50/$25.
Portishead: With Thought Forms, Thu., Oct. 27, 8 p.m., $39.50-$49.50.
The Head and the Heart: With Thao & The Get Down Stay Down and the Devil Whale, Mon., Oct. 10, 7 p.m., $20/$23. Joan Osborne: With Dar Williams, Sat., Sept. 24, 8 p.m. Summer Break Shakedown: With Swimclub, the Soft Parade and Electric Love Club, Thu., July 28, 7 p.m., $10/$13. Sundown Social (FKA Undercover): With Kill Paradise, Break Through Beautiful and the Ghoulies, Fri., July 29.
Peter Wolf Crier: Thu., Oct. 27.
Classix: Thu., Aug. 18. Liam Finn: Tue., Sept. 27.
The Arrivals: Sun., Aug. 7. Boris: Sat., Oct. 15. Impending Doom: Thu., Sept. 8. The Lemonheads: Mon., Oct. 24. Memphis May Fire: Sun., Aug. 14. Polar Bear Club: With Such Gold, Fri., Sept. 30. Sweatshop Union: Sat., Sept. 3.
Eldren: With Petals of Spain, Sugarwall and the Whale, Fri., Aug. 19, $5. One Too Many: With By the Time, Jade Skyline and Saving Avery, Fri., July 29, $5.
Cyndi Lauper: Tue., Nov. 1, 8 p.m., $30/$35. MSTRKRFT: Sat., Sept. 10, 9 p.m., $25. Matt Nathanson: Thu., Oct. 20, 7:30 p.m., $25. Zeds Dead: Nov. 18-19, 9 p.m., $26.
The Official Ladies Night Out '90s Platinum Party: With Dru Hill, Jon B and Silk, Sat., Aug. 13.
Minus the Bear: Thu., Oct. 6
We're currently tracking the playlists from a number of different shows, including KTCL's Locals Only, Radio 1190's Local Shakedown, 99.5 the Mountain's Homegrown Show*, The Colorado Sound, an independently produced show that is broadcast all over Colorado, and The Colorado Wave, which is syndicated on a number of stations across the country. Here's what the area's local-centric specialty radio shows were spinning this week. *Playlist unavailable
DeVotchKa - "100 Other Lovers" Boulder Acoustic Society - "Skip Baby Skip" Natalie Walker - "Cool Kids" Everfound - "She Said" Nathaniel Rateliff - "Shroud" Orange Lola - "Tidal Wave" Break Through Beautiful - "Swell" Veronica - "Lightbulb Girl" Joe Mondragon - "Hell Knows" The Gromet - "Merrimack" Desciples - "Where Did You Go" Hollyfelds - "What It Feels Like"
Mohammed Alidu and the Bizung Family - "Land of Fire" Sherri Jackson - "Maple Tree" Patti Fiasco - "Bottle of Wine" The Matt Nasi Band - "Unsafe and Sound" The Alan Baird Project - "Blood, Not Bloody" Zach Heckendorf - "All the Right Places" Heather Marie Philipp - "To Remember You" Whiskey Blanket - "Pound Boom" My Body Sings Electric - "Rings" The Foot. - "Corner of Sunset" Tennis - "Is It True?" Broken Spoke - "I'll See You Soon" Great American Taxi - "Blair Mountain" Jim Stranahan - "Loco" Richie Furay - "Forever With You" Dan Fogelberg - "Full Circle" Fierce Bad Rabbit - "Love Doesn't Run" Andy Hackbarth - "Sara Marie" Dressy Bessy - "Who'd Stop the Rain" Rose Hill Drive - "Speed Dial" Big Head Todd and the Monsters - "Runaway Train" Veronica - "Hurley Wax" Spring Creek - "Blue Sky Blue Water" Finnders and Youngberg - "Nebraska" Hickman Dalton Gang - "Elizabeth" Hickman Dalton Gang - "Mr. Wrong" Adam Bodine Trio - "Up 'N Hear"
The Wendy Woo Band - "Drunk In Love" The Wendy Woo Band - "Stuck In My Head" The Wendy Woo Band - "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" Andy Hackbarth - "The Last Love Song" Erica Brown Band - "Dynamite" The Fray - "Some Trust" Angie Stevens - "Common's Tune" David Rynhart - "Say Congratulations" The Hollyfelds - "How to Be Gone" No Bueno - "Soundtrack" Roe - "Waiting"
Bruce Hayes - "Easy Come Easy Go" Dressy Bessy - "Pretty Pleaze" Missing DuFrenes - "Hanging Around" Lauren Brombert - "This Is All" Hillbilly Hellcats - "Everybody There Was Drinking Martinis But Me" Bedouin - "Stepping Out" Steve Glotzer - "Beso Azul" Sweet Suzi - "Slippin Out Slippin In" Double Down - "Whiskey Driver" Brother Love - "Summertime" Chris McKay & The Critical Darlings - "Taking Its Toll" Audrey Vanessa - "Addiction"
Top Local Sellers - Albums & Downloads
Fucked Up's David Comes to Life claimed the top spot at Wax Trax last week
Photo by Daniel Boud
Tech N9NE's All 6's & 7's continues to reign at the top spot at Independent Records, while Booker T. Jones' The Road From Memphis was on top at Albums on the Hill, Bon Iver's new self-titled album came in first at Twist & Shout and Fucked Up's David Comes to Life ruled at Wax Trax.
01. Booker T. Jones - The Road From Memphis
02. Gillian Welch - The Harrow & The Harvest
03. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
04. Gregory Alan Isakov - Black Up
05. Robert Plant - Band of Joy
06. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
07. Dave Alvin - Eleven Eleven
08. Flogging Molly - Speed of Darknes
09. Civil Wars - Barton Hollow
10. Thurston Moore - Demolished Thoughts
01. Tech N9NE - All 6's & 7's
02. Bad Meets Evil - Hell: The Sequel
03. Adele - 21
04. Lloyd - King of Hearts
05. Big Sean - Finally Famous
06. Curren$y - Weekend at Burnie's
07. Lady Gaga - Born This Way
08. E-40 - Revenue Retrievin': Graveyard Shift/Overtime
09. LMFAO - Sorry for Partying
10. Wiz Khalifa - Rolling Papers
01. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
02. Thievery Corporation - Culture of Fear
03. My Morning Jacket - Circuital
04. Adele - 21
05. Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More
06. Foster the People - Torches
07. Various Artists - Rave On Buddy Holly
08. Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator
09. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
10. Eddie Vedder - Ukulele Songs
01. Fucked Up - David Comes to Life
02. Thurston Moore - Demolished Blues
03. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
04. Black Lips - Arabia Mountain
05. Ty Segall - Goodbye Bread
06. Dwarves - Born Again
07. Cults - Cults
08. Gillian Welch - The Harrow & The Harvest
09. Curren$y - Weekend At Burnie's
10. OFF! - First 4 EPs
01. Florence & the Machine - "You've Got the Love" (Mark Knight mix)
02. Butch - "Big Futt" (original mix)
03. Oliver $ - "Doin' Ya Thang" (original mix)
04. Arty - "Around the World" (original mix)
05. Deetron - "Starblazer" (original mix)
06. Truelove - "Rock the Casbah" (original mix)
07. Nadia Ali & Starkillers - "Pressure" (Alesso mix)
08. Sebastien Leger - "Polymod" (original mix)
09. Afrojack - "Bangduck" (Mogui remix)
10. Mord Fustang - "Magic Trooper" (original mix)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.
More MUSIC News
- Rhinoceropolis and Glob In Photos: The Current Era
Fri., May 22, 8 p.m.
Thu., May 21, 8 p.m.
Thu., May 14, 8 p.m.
Sat., May 16, 8 p.m.
- Shows, Shows, Shows: A Glimpse of Rhinoceropolis Through Flier Art
- Tom Hagerman Talks About the CSO's New Collaboration with Local Artists