New Denver shows: Phoenix, Five Iron Frenzy, Channel 93.3 Big Gig with Lumineers and more
Another solid batch of new shows going on sale this weekend, including Phoenix, which is coming to the Rocks with Dinosaur Jr.; Five Iron Frenzy, set to play the Ogden in August; KTCL Channel 93.3 bringing the Lumineers, Langhorne Slim and Paper Bird; and the Monkees. Keep reading for the full rundown on all those shows and to find out what's being played on the radio and what albums are selling locally.
See also: - New shows: Furthur, Bob Dylan, Wilco and My Morning Jacket, Wiz Khalifa and more - New shows: Steely Dan, the Geto Boys, Brad Paisley, Selena Gomez, Ride Festival - New shows: Kid Rock's $20 tour, Muse, 311/Blues Traveler at Red Rocks
Phoenix, which just released its fifth album, Bankrupt!, last week, headlines Red Rocks on Wednesday, August 7, with Dinosaur Jr. opening. Tickets ($44.50-$49.50) go on sale Friday, May 3, at 10 a.m.
After playing a string of local shows since reuniting, including ringing in the New Year at Casselman's, Five Iron Frenzy is slated to headline the Ogden Theatre on Saturday, August 17, with FIF offshoot Yellow Second opening. Tickets, $20, go on sale on Saturday, May 4, at 10 a.m.
Channel 93.3 has tapped the Lumineers to headline its annual Big Gig with Langhorne Slim and Paper Bird on Saturday, September 14. Tickets ($39.50-$44.50) go on sale on Saturday, May 4, at 10 a.m.
The Monkees, featuring Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork, bring their summer tour to the Paramount Theatre on Monday, August 5. Tickets ($55-$125) go on sale on Friday, May 3, at 10 a.m.
Bob Schneider: Thu., June 20, 8 p.m., $22/$25. Hot 8 Brass Band: Fri., July 12, 9 p.m., $10/$12. Hot Buttered Rum: Fri., June 21, 9 p.m., $20/$25. Your Own Medicine (Video Release): With Dimmer Switch, Random Hero, Ashfield, Sun., May 26, 8 p.m., $10/$15.
Gregory Alan Isakov: Sun., Aug. 4. World Blues: With Taj Mahal, Vusi Mahlasela &, Fredericks Brown featuring Deva Mahal, Sat., Oct. 19, 7 p.m., $35-$50.
AmericanaramA Festival of Music: Featuring Bob Dylan & his Band, Wilco, My Morning Jacket and Ryan Bingham, Wed., July 31, $36-$90.
American Idol Live!: Featuring Amber Holcomb, Angie Miller, Burnell Taylor, Candice Glover, Curtis Finch Jr, Devin Velez, Janelle Arthur, Kree Harrison, Lazaro Arbos, Paul Jolley and Aubrey Cleland, Wed., July 10, 7:30 p.m., $33.50.
Dopapod: With Kinetix and Astronomix, Fri., July 12, 8:30 p.m., $12/$14. The Juan MacLean (DJ Set): Fri., June 28, 8:30 p.m., $12/$14. MartyParty: Fri., May 24, 8:30 p.m., $16/$18. Technicolor Tone Factory: With Koffi Togo Vibe and Royal Thunder, Sun., May 12, 7:30 p.m., $12. William Tyler: Tue., July 23, 8:30 p.m., $8/$10.
Royal Teeth: Mon., June 24, 9 p.m., $10/$15.
Jews Do Dylan - A Tribute to Bob Dylan by Jewish Musicians: Featuring Rabbi Jamie Arnold, Hal Aqua and The Lost Tribe, Rabbi Joe Black, Julie Geller, Katie Glassman, Eve Ilsen, Saul Rosenthal, David Ross, Sheldon Sands, Yaniv Salzberg, Greg Schochet, Carla Sciaky, Harry Tuft, Bryan Zive and more, Sun., Dec. 8, 7 p.m., $16. Nitin Sawhney Trio: Past, Present and Future Unplugged, Tue., Nov. 5, 8 p.m., $22.
The Almost: Wed., June 5. Cartel: Wed., June 12, 7 p.m., $15. Motive: With Jamestown Revival, Thu., June 20, 7 p.m., $10/$12. The Uncluded (Aesop Rock & Kimya Dawson): Fri., July 5.
Five Iron Frenzy: With Yellow Second, Sat., Aug. 17, 9 p.m., $20. Jimmy Eat World: Sat., July 20, 8 p.m., $30.
The Monkees: Mon., Aug. 5, 8 p.m., $55-$125. Joe Satriani: With the Steve Morse Band, Wed., Sept. 4, 8 p.m., $44-$75.
Channel 93.3 Big Gig: Featuring the Lumineers, Langhorne Slim and Paper Bird, Sat., Sept. 14, 6:30 p.m., $39.50-$44.50. Phoenix: With Dinosaur Jr., Wed., Aug. 7, 8 p.m., $44.95-$49.95.
Eliza Gilkyson: With Amy Speace, Fri., June 21, 8 p.m., $23. John McEuen & Alpin Hong: Sat., Nov. 23, 8 p.m., $25. Maura O'Connell: Farewell show and tour, Sat., Nov. 16, 8 p.m., $24
We're currently tracking the playlists from a number of different shows, including KTCL's Locals Only, The Colorado Sound, an independently produced show that is broadcast all over Colorado, and The Colorado Wave, which is syndicated on a number of stations across the country. Here's what the area's local-centric specialty radio shows were spinning this week.
Take to the Oars - "White Noise" Meniskus - "Greed" Anchorage - "Vagrant" Musuji - "Wine Stain" MTHDS - "Party" Reverb & the Verse - "Repeater" Rob Drabkin - "Down to Fate" Ian Cooke w/303 Choir - "Rover" Ella's Patience - "Sarlacc" Petals of Spain - "So You're Gonna Quit Now" Attic Attack - "Silver Lining"
Flash Cadillac & the Continental Kids - "Hot Summer Girls" Sugarloaf - "Colorado Jones" WhiteWater Ramble - "Standard Deviation" String Cheese Incident - "Outside and Inside" Andy Hackbarth - "Windmills" The Changing Colors - "Good Times" Thom Chacon - "Juarez, Mexico" Churchill - "The War Within" The Informants - "Salvation" The Jekylls - "You're Probably Right" Vices I Admire - "The Wicked Sun" Winger - "Deal With the Devil" Jon Wirtz - "Politico" Steve Taylor - "Meltdown (At Madame Tussaud's)" Stacie Orrico - "(There's Gotta Be) More to Life" The Congress - "Killing Me Softly" Mama Lenny and the Remedy - "Dangerous To Touch" The Dirty Lookers - "Whiskey, She's A Liar" Pretty Lights - "Around the Block (feat. Talib Kweli)" Beats Noir! - "Talkin and Talkin" FaceMan - "Tackle Me Down" The Gromet - "Skip Your Stone" The Railbenders - "Whiskey Saturday Night" Beki Hemingway - "Lay It Down" The Samples - "Wild River" Manuel Lopez Trio - "Searching Out"
Dave Sadler - "Fade to Blue" Jaunty/Kapp(s) - "Spherical" Charlotte Zoe - "Two Oh One Two" Wes Hamil - "Reunion" Wadirum - "Curious" Reverend Zen - "Magdalena" Raz - "When You Fall In Love" Mack Bailey - "Choose Your Attitude" Just Jinger - "Time Of Your Life" Elmo Chesterhazy - "I Don't Hate Love" Scott Balsai - "Black Kitten of 44 Greenwich Street" Luna Sopor - "Free From You" Scott Von - "Earth's Last Day"
Top Local Sellers - Albums & Downloads
Cassie Taylor, daughter of Otis, took the top spot with her new album, Out of My Mind, at Albums on the Hill while Rob Zombie's Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor, released last week, came in first at Independent Records and Phoenix's new disc, Bankrupt!, was on top at Twist & Shout and Ghostface Killah's Twelve Reasons to Die was first at Wax Trax.
01. Cassie Taylor - Out of My Mind
02. The Flaming Lips - The Terror
03. Bonobo - The North Borders
04. Marco Benevento - Invisible Baby (RSD)
05. The Replacements - Songs for Slim
06. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito
07. The Band - The Last Waltz(RSD)
08. JJ Grey & Mofro - This River
09. Rob Zombie - Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor
10. Snoop Lion - Reincarnated
01. Rob Zombie - Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor
02. Snoop Lion - Reincarnated
03. Tyga - Hotel California
04. Lil Wayne - I Am Not a Human Being II
05. Kid Cudi - Indicud
06. Fall Out Boy - Save Rock & Roll
07. Future - Pluto 3D
08. Fantasia - Side Effects of You
09. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
10. Phoenix - Bankrupt!
01. Phoenix - Bankrupt!
02. The Flaming Lips - The Terror
03. Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls
04. Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart
05. The Lumineers - The Lumineers
06. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito
07. Postal Service - Give Up
08. DeVotchKa - Live With the Colorado Symphony
09. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast
10. Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell - Old Yellow Moon
01. Ghostface Killah - Twelve Reasons to Die
02. How to Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion
03. David Bowie - The Next Day
04. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito
05. Black Angels - Indigo Meadow
06. The Flaming Lips - The Terror
07. My Bloody Valentine - m b v
08. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
09. Ghost B.C. - Infestissumam
10. Kurt Vile - Wakin' On A Pretty Daze
01. Daft Punk - "Get Lucky"
02. Fedde Le Grand - "Rockin N' Rollin'"
03. Mark Knight - "Your Love"
04. Dimitri Vegas, Like Mike - "Turn it Up"
05. Daddy's Groove, Cryogenix - "Tilt"
06. Shotek, Noisecontrollers - "Get Loose"
07. Alesso, OneRepbublic - "If I Lose Myself"
08. Laidback Luke, Hardwelll - "Dynamo"
09. Nari & Milani - "Vago"
10. Armin van Buuren, Trevor Guthrie -"This is What it Feels Like"
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.
More MUSIC News
- Photos: The CSO Performs Alongside Colorado Bands
Thu., May 14, 8 p.m.
Sat., May 16, 8 p.m.
Fri., May 15, 8 p.m.
Fri., May 22, 8 p.m.
- The Ten Best Concerts in Denver This Weekend
- Rhinoceropolis and Glob In Photos: The Current Era