Today marks the one-year anniversary of the death of Type O Negative frontman Peter Steele (aka Petrus T. Ratajczyk). The towering singer was found dead of heart failure following an unspecified illness at the age of 48. In memory of this one-of-a-kind ex-Playgirl model, our resident Peter Steele expert runs down Steele's five greatest moments caught on tape.
5. Ricki Lake In the early '90s, daytime talk shows seemed to be all the rage, and no rocker was a more frequent guest on these shows than Peter was. If you can stand the quality of this clip until the end, he actually makes out with a girl he just met behind a stage set waterfall.
4. Howard Stern The similarities between Stern and Steele, in wit and height, made these two an obvious match up on this once iconic radio show. Peter's answers to Stern's questions seemed to leave the shock jock a little shook, so a live cover of Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl" quickly commenced.
3. Live at Irving Plaza 10/29/07 Getting heckled by a massive crowd is something most bands have endured at least once in their career. Some singers have been known to throw fits and storm off stage, and some have even responded with violence. As evidenced by this clip, sometimes giving it right back to the crowd can be more effective than any preteen tantrum. If only Ben Weasel had watched this clip before SXSW this year...
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
2. Rocks Off With Jesse Camp In the '90s, no other VJ was as hands-down annoying and unbearable as pseudo-street kid Jesse Camp. During his short-lived career at MTV, he was given the opportunity to interview several stars, Peter being one of them. His sense of humor really comes out in this interview as he almost baffles Jesse with his take on band stalkers.
1. Jerry Springer This is probably Steele's most famous television appearance, and for good reason: He tells tales of groupies, naked women coming to his house only to meet his mother, and the infamous Playgirl spread. Classic Peter Steele.