Phish's twenty most interesting covers
Phish is the greatest cover band on earth, hands down. Some songs have become staples -- so much so that we've come across fans, even well versed fans, who didn't realize songs like "Funky Bitch" was a cover -- while others are only busted out occasionally, sometimes only once. Of the myriad covers the band has played, these are the twenty most interesting.
20. The Apples in Stereo - "Energy" This is a new cover they started playing this year. Apples in Stereo tweeted a thank you to Phish. The Chicago version gets the full Phish treatment, a beautiful major-key jam with Trey tossing in so many beautiful melodic guitar riffs.
19. Jay-Z - "99 Problems" Playing in Brooklyn gives you Brooklyn perks, like Jay-Z coming on stage to guest with on "99 Problems" and "Big Pimpin.'" Nobody's saying it's a good version, but it's definitely interesting and hilarious that it happened to begin with.
18. Dizzy Gillespie - "Manteca" This Afro-Cuban inspired jazz classic pops up here and there during the jams of other songs, one of the best renditions coming during "Stash" on 11/14/95.
17. The Rolling Stones - "Let it Loose" "Let It Loose" is a song not played live by the Rolling Stones. Here Phish does the honors, and wow do they do a beautiful job. Played originally at Festival 8 for the Halloween set, it was a beautiful moment to catch your breath, maybe shed a tear, hug a buddy, do what you do.
16. Jane's Addiction - "Been Caught Stealing" "Been Caught Stealing" is another high energy cover that was played five times in 1998. In 2011, when the band finally played it again in Raleigh, it had put a second mic stand on the stage, making everyone think there was a special guest. Nope. It was just Trey's new "Perry Farrell" vocal effect. The music starts around 1:30 here, and it felt like a punk show up there.Next Page
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.