Rearview: The week in review (12/15/08 - 12/19/08
This week, U2 threw its colleagues at Live Nation a curve when it unexpectedly -- well, in this economy, it shouldn't really come as too big a surprise -- set about cashing in the 1.6 million shares it received as part of a 360 deal it signed with the entertainment conglomerate. According to a report filed by the Wall Street Journal, the current stock value is only at a fraction of what the band is guaranteed through its agreement, which means the company will now have to make up for the other $19 million in losses it will incur as a result. D'oh! Needless to say, things were decidedly less grim here at Backbeat headquarters (well, aside from the fact that we still owe clubs editor Jon Solomon twenty bucks, but that's a whole other Oprah). Anyhow, here's links to everthing we wrote about in the blog this week in case you missed it. -- Dave Herrera
Friday, December 19, 2008
- There's no shortage of things to do tonight in the Mile High City
- My top five musical miscellanea of 2008
- MESS and Sector 7 get down tonight
- Rap-Up: Celebrate Christmas with Basementalism and Colorado rappers
- Busted Rhymes: The Top Ten Most Preposterous Rap Songs of 2008
- Beyond Playlist presents Xmas-rated, part three: Jazz to the World
- More Moovers & Shakers picks
- Mile High Makeout: The spirit of Christmas present
- In case you missed it: Backbeat's ten most-read blogs of 2008
- Rap-Up: DJ Vajra rips up Basementalism... download it!
Thursday, December 18, 2008
- 2008's five most memorable shows
- Mile Hi-Fidelity playlist - 12.17.08
- Beyond Playlist presents Xmas-rated, part two: Reissues and Retreads
- Rap-Up: 800 the Jewell offers a sneak peek to 2009
- Top 10 Indie Rock Albums of 2008
- Mile High Makeout: So this is the new year, third and final
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
- Flier of the week: The Red Light Dance Party at 3 Kings Tavern
- Moovers & Shakers 2008: Backbeat scribes weigh in on their favorite local releases of the year
- Chairlift continues its ascent... upward, of course.
- Swallow Hill is calling the next generation of Denver bands
- Beyond Playlist presents Xmas-rated, part one: Noel Notables
- Mile High Makeout: So this is the new year, part two
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
- This Just In 12/18-12/24/08
- Download the Chain Gang of 1974's Mad Mixtape for FREE!
- Dom and Jane's Warm & Fuzzy Christmas show on Mix 100
- Rap-Up: BreakEFX looks back at 2008
- Rumor confirmed: Blackout Pact to record followup to Hello Sailor. Really.
- Cephalic Carnage playing benefit this weekend and Summer Slaughter bootleg
- Local blogs list year-end picks
- Fray reveals track list for new album
- Sneak Peek at Ideal Fathers' upcoming EP
- Rap-Up: Nyke Nitti throws the "Top Back" with "Slap Muzik"
- Mile High Makeout: So this is the new year, part one
Monday, December 15, 2008
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.