The Chevrolet car company was founded 100 years ago today to compete with the Ford Model-T. But who cares about 100 years ago? The golden age of Chevrolet was from 1960 to 1976, from the Impala to the second-generation Caprice. This writer learned to drive on a '64 Impala in various states of disrepair, and later a 396 '69 Chevelle, which was just about as safe for a teenager as a loaded gun. The allure of those cars isn't lost on hip hop, causing any Chevy owner to take a small amount of pride when their ride is name-dropped. Here are ten songs you should always play loud in your Chev-ro-lett.
10. "Ridin' in the Chevy" by Three 6 Mafia Most "Chevy" Line: "Watch you fools going down every single day/While I ride clean, drop-top a mean Chevrolet. Busta."
10. "My Box Chevy" by Yelawolf Most "Chevy" Line: "This whip is built for Queens, and you wanna be seen with a king/Well I wanna see the back of your jeans in seats (My Box Chevy)"
Most "Chevy" Line: "Drivin' Chevy now/I'm ready now/The car's stolen baby, but i'm rollin' baby"
8. "Heavy in My Chevy" by Naughty By Nature Most "Chevy" Line: "I'm right heavy in my Chevy/Packets won't go/Different brown liquor and a fifty seconds drove"7. "Ridin' In My Chevy" by Snoop Dog
Most "Chevy" Line: "Ridin' in my Chevy, and I'm sittin at the light (at the light)/I got kush in my blood/Sippin' Remy, keep it pimpin' with my pinky off the cut/And all the people, when they see me, like, 'Snoop turn it up!'"
6. "Chevy" by Trick Daddy Most "Chevy" Line: "Caprice style, Impala don't matter as long as you ridin' in a Chevy"
4. "My Chevy" by Young Buck Most "Chevy" Line: "Chrome everywhere with the pipes out the ass, 454 big block/Do the whole dash"
3. "Top Back (Remix)" by TI Most "Chevy" Line: "Nah, this ain't the movie but I shot four brothers/And plus I gotta Chevelle that flop four colors"2. "Chevy Ridin'" High by Rick Ross
Most "Chevy" Line: "I got a V12, sweeter than a female/It feels like intercourse bucklin' the seatbelt"
1. "Let Me Ride" by Dr. Dre Most "Chevy" Line: "Rollin' in my four with sixteen switches/And got sounds for the bitches/Clockin' all the riches/Got the hollow points for the snitches"
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Follow Backbeat on Twitter: @westword_music