Ten best Beavis and Butt-head music-video riffs
In honor of MTV's 30th Anniversary this week, we're reflecting on the network's best moments from the past three decades. Today: Our favorite music videos riffed on by Beavis and Butt-head. The duo tackled something around 250 different videos throughout the show's eight seasons, and although it's coming back, the original will undoubtedly be our favorite.
10. Type O Negative - Black No. 1" "This is a cross between Danzig and my butt."
Regardless of how you feel about Type O Negative, B and B's mockery of Peter Steele's voice is spot-on hilarity.
9. David Byrne - "Angels" "Didn't this guy already do this song?"
David Byrne's "Angels" certainly does sound like a particular Talking Heads song, and the boys nailed it here.
8. Yanni - "Reflections of Passion" "Check it out -- she's leaving him because he sucks."
Yanni has always been easy fodder for mockery, but Beavis and Butt-head still manage to pull a few witty comments out on this video, even if most of it falls a little flat.
7. Archers of Loaf - "Web in Front" "It's like in all these videos now -- they just get a couple weird dudes and just shake the camera and just do a bunch of crap."
It's true that during the heyday of the first "college rock" video movement, most videos did indeed feature someone running around with a camera filming the band doing a bunch of crap. They could have probably tagged twenty different bands with this comment.
6. Tom Waits - "I Don't Want to Grow Up" "It's like he can't write songs, but he can sing."
Sometime Beavis and Butt-head can just nail a joke so well, you don't even notice it the first time you hear it. Case in point: The above comment about Tom Waits's "I Don't Want to Grow Up," is so reverse-spot-on that we're still laughing about it a little.
5. Pavement - "Rattled by the Rush" "If you're going to be horrible, at least kick ass, like Jesus Lizard. They suck, but they kick ass."
It's no secret that Beavis and Butt-head weren't into the likes of Pavement, Jesus Lizard or Archers of Loaf, but there's no denying that Pavement's videos were terrible and boring.
4. Grim Reaper - "Fear No Evil" "These guys suck so bad they have to go to their concerts in armored vehicles."
Beavis and Butt-head made fun of pretty much every single Grim Reaper video, but this one is our favorite because of the armored cars and Wolverine comments.
3. Ramones - "I Wanna Be Sedated" "..."
The only video we know of where they don't say a single thing.
2. Metallica - "For Whom the Bell Tolls" "Sit your ass down, Lars, and play the drums like you're supposed to."
Beavis is always wearing a Metallica shirt, so it makes sense that Butt-head would make fun of Metallica as much as possible, including calling James Hetfield a cowardly lion.
1. Enuff Z'nuff - "Fly High Michelle" "He looks like that Peter Frampton chick."
This video is so utterly terrible, it's hard to believe that Beavis and Butt-head were able to say anything about it, but the fact that they call them "chicks" through most of the video is the best approach they could have taken.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.