The Weekend Showdown: Akron/Family and Bad Weather California are living at Quixote's
We would hate for you to miss out on all the awesome that happens every weekend in our fair city, so we've decided to run down five of the best shows in one easy-to-swallow post, with video and audio. Tell us -- and the rest of the world -- what we missed in the comments.
This week, folk visionaries Akron/Family are holing up at Quixote's with Bad Weather California (whose record they're producing) for a three night residency. They'll have special guests each night. And Hot Congress's monthly showcase at the Skylark kicks off on Saturday. Sun Red continues its second act and Owen Pallett and Horse Feathers round out the national stuff.
1. Akron/Family With Bad Weather California And Dead Phish Orchestra (5/14), Widowers & Candy Claws (5/15), Woodsman & Snake Rattle Rattle Snake (5/16) Quixote's True Blue Friday, May 14 and Saturday, May 15. Doors open at 8pm. And Sunday, May 16, doors open at 6pm. $15 (each day)
Why you should go: Akron/Family could be playing a one night show at The Bluebird and take home more money than they'll get this way. They aren't doing that, instead choosing three nights and Quixote's, where they'll have more freedom to do... whatever they want. The local accompaniment is exceptional: Three nights of Bad Weather California and five more of Denver (and Fort Collins) best spread over the residency.
2. Hot Congress Show With Kissing Party, Breakfastes, Green Typewriters Skylark Lounge Saturday May 15. Show starts at 9pm.
Why you should go: Hot Congress are entering the expansion year, kicking off their record label and this showcase. The debut lineup is an impressive, if not surprising group featuring two bands from the collective and one not. In the future, they'll be looking to expand.
3. Sun Red With Young Cities, Sarina Simoom Hi-Dive Saturday, May 15. Doors open at 9pm. $6.00
Why you should go: Sun Red soon won't need the clarification that they were formerly (die) Pilot. The new stuff is better than ever. Get there for the opener -- Sarina Simoom has been at this since 1995 (minus a hiatus for grad school) and their music is moving.
4. Owen Pallett With Fellow Citizens Larimer Lounge Friday, May 14. Show starts at 10pm.
Why you should go: Owen Pallett, touring in support of his first album under his name (he was Final Fantasy previously), and it's his best work to date. He uses a loop pedal live, which tends to make for an interesting show.
5. Horse Feathers With Dawn Landes, Andrea Ball Hi-Dive Friday, May 14. Show starts at $10.00 $10.00
Why you should go: It's a folky sort of weekend here in Denver, completed by Portland's Horse Feathers. Their baroque sound will be complimented nicely by Denver's Andrea Ball and Brooklyn's Dawn Landes.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.