Turntable.fm finally becomes mobile and VidRhythm lets you make idiotic cat videos
This past two weeks in music apps have been chock full of awesome for music apps. Some of the incredibly ridiculous things you can do with your smartphone this week: VidRhythm gives you the ability to make stupid songs out of videos, we're finally introduced to a Turntable.fm app, Play It Down lets you see how music will sound as your ears age, and there's plenty more.
5. Turntable.fm (iOS) We're fans of Turntable.fm, but it was disappointing that you couldn't take it with you. Well now you can with the official Turntable.fm app, which despite a few minor issues, lets you use the service no matter where you are. It's incredibly fun to kick out jams out to a roomful of people, even if they're just little digital avatars and you don't get hit on when you're slinging records off the decks.
4. Play it Down (iOS) Play it Down is a snazzy little free app that lets you learn how your ears age over time. It takes songs out of you library and "ages" them so you can hear what music will sound like when you're old. If used properly, it should help you appreciate what your hearing now and plan your life accordingly by not rocking out too loud for too long in the future.
3. MadPad (iOS) Somewhat similar to our number one pick this week, but instead of making specific types of music for you, MadPad lets you record sights and sounds and make music out of everyday things. From a mouse click to a soda fizzle, you can start making your own Matmos-esque songs with almost no work whatsoever. It's cool as a toy, but we can see this making its way into artist's libraries pretty easily with a little extra work.
2. Groovebug (iOS) Groovebug is an iPad music magazine, but it's not just a catered list -- it takes your music library and creates a personalized magazine using blogs, news, TicketMaster and every other content provider you can think of. It also uses EchoNest to help you discover similar artists. It works exceptionally well, and if you got your library loaded up on your iPad, it's a well done app that takes the work out of discovering info on your favorite bands.
1. VidRhythm (iOS) VidRhythm is one of those rare music apps that makes you stop and question why you would ever bother doing anything in your life that isn't making something with it. It's a music creation app that uses video of you making ridiculous noises and then creates a song based on it. To see it in action, check out the idiotic dubstep video we made below with a cat (because all good videos should have a cat).
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.