49 things younger than 49-year-old Rockies pitcher Jamie Moyer
Every story about Rockies pitcher Jamie Moyer, including our cover story this week by Caleb Hannan, prominently features the word "old." But because, rightly or wrongly, that word can have a negative connotation in our society, we decided to focus for once on something young in relation to the 49-year-old Moyer. So we created a list of 49 things younger than him.
See how young and fresh that feels? Count down our top 49 list below.
To set the table, Moyer was born on November 18, 1962. Earlier this season, he became the oldest pitcher to win a Major League Baseball game. He has pitched to eight percent of all players in MLB history. He's been around a while, and here are 49 things or people younger than the Rockies' best pitcher this season.
49. Coors Light (1978).
48. "Light" beer of any kind (1967).
47. Tommy John surgery, which Moyer had before last year (1974).
46. 39 of the 46 players on the inaugural Rockies roster in 1993.
45. The song "Addicted to Love" by Robert Palmer, which was Number 1 on the charts when Moyer made his major-league debut (1986).
44. Contact lenses (1965).
43. Handheld calculator (1967)
42. Floppy disk (1970).
41. Original LCD display (1971).
39. Matlock (1986).
38. Eight current Major League Baseball managers.
37. Jon Stewart (Nov. 28, 1962).
36. CDs (1982).
35. Denver Nuggets (1967).
34. Permanent press fabric (1964).
33. Computer mouse (1968).
32. Word processor (1972).
31. Post-it notes (1974).
29. Abortion pill (1988)
28. Earth Day (1969).
27. Michael Jordan (1963).
26. Disco (1970s).
25. Spain's democracy (1976)
24. Subway restaurants (1965).
23. Rubik's cube (1974).
22. Computer spreadsheets (1978).
21. Electronic fuel injection for cars (1966).
Page down to continue reading our list of 49 things younger than 49-year-old Jamie Moyer. 20. Silicone breast implant surgery (1962, the year Moyer was born, so breast implants might have beaten Moyer -- but we're putting them on here because every list is better with breast implants).
19. Vinny Castilla and Glenallen Hill, members of the Rockies coaching staff. (1967 and 1965, respectively).
18. The Sound of Music (1965).
17. Platoon, which won the Academy Award for Best Picture the year Moyer made his major league debut (1986).
16. Daniel Bragg, who Moyer was traded to the Seattle Mariners for in 1996. Bragg retired eight years ago, when Moyer was still pitching for the Mariners. (1969).
15. Grateful Dead (1965).
14. Roberto Clemente Award, given each year to the player who best displays sportsmanship and community involvement. Moyer won it in 2003 (1971).
13. BASIC, an early computer language (1964).
12. Magnavox Odyssey, the first video game console (1968).
11. Audio cassettes (1962, another invention that came to be the same year as Moyer. But really, audio cassettes?).
9. Jodie Foster, by one day.
8. Woodstock (1969).
7. Colorado Rockies (1993).
6. The Beatles' arrival in America (1964).
5. To Kill a Mockingbird, the movie (December, 1962).
4. The song "It's My Party" by Lesley Gore (1963).
3. Hip-hop music (1970s).
2. All but three Major League Baseball stadiums (Wrigley Field, Fenway Park and Dodger Stadium, which opened the same year Moyer was born).
1. Nine U.S. Presidents at the time of their inauguration (James K. Polk, John F. Kennedy, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, Franklin Pierce, Grover Cleveland, Ulysses S. Grant, Theodore Roosevelt).
More from our Baseball archive: "Infographic: Pitcher Jamie Moyer has shut down the Rockies' best hitters."
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.