A reader's (already kicked) bucket list
I've been a longtime reader of Westword (since 1980!) and now an old guy (sixty as of September), and I have to admit a lot of your music and entertainment information doesn't register with me.
But — and this is the most important — your articles and editorials about modern-life issues in Denver and Colorado are the best journalism we have these days, and I fervently hope for your continued success and good fortune!! We'd be up the creek without it!
Kelly A. Johnson
"Down to the Bones," Alan Prendergast, January 23
What an incredible story by Alan Prendergast. I followed every twist and turn — even though I found it hard to feel much sympathy for Michael Mapps. With the madness of meth, his life seemed to be heading for self-destruction.
What a shame that Charles Repenning got taken down by that madness, too.
Finally...true journalism in Westword. This piece was written by one of my old college instructors; it's been so long.
Blondy Van Weirden
Posted on Facebook
"The 2014 Denver Bucket List," Westword Staff, January 13
Loved your Denver Bucket List! Now I know how I'll be spending 2014.
Ten things you'll never be able to do in Colorado (again):
10. Spend the day at the Tattered Cover in Cherry Creek. No, not that one — the old, old one, before that. The original was on Second between Fillmore and St. Paul, and then they moved to the corner of Second and Milwaukee. That's when you really could sit in a chair all day and read a book.
9. Speaking of the Fourth Story, it used to be a restaurant called the Chrysler. You could get Bananas Foster. It was art-deco and a favorite after hours with the punk crowd.
8. Speaking of punks: See a show at the Rainbow Music Hall. My favorite — Black Flag, Meat Puppets, Nig-Heist (well, not Nig-Heist) followed by Chrysler.
7. Sit in the actual South Stands and see a game.
6. Hang out at Cin City.
5. Eat cookies from the Blue Chip Cookie Company.
4. Catch the Avs at McNic.
3. Park in downtown Denver on a Friday night for $5 (because it's a ghost town).
2. Ski at Vail for $15 a day.
1. Hang out at the Nautilus arcade at Southglenn Mall.
Hey, ho, where'd you go, Colorado? Colorful Coloroacha!
Posted on Facebook
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Senate Committee Approves Medical Marijuana for Veterans
- Reader: Denver Is Full of Smokers and Beta Males Who Refuse to Grow Up
- Denver Health To Limit Patients Passively Enrolled In Its Medicaid Plan