Answers to the 1st Annual BCS Corporate Sponsor Bowl Quiz presented by Westword.com
Here they are.com:
1. Poulan Weed-Eater – Although Poulan Weed-Eater is, sadly, no longer in the bowl sponsorship business, they do offer a helpful reminder on their website that “Kids and mowers don’t mix.” Good looking out, Poulan.
2. The Humanitarian Bowl. The remaining bowls on the list have no sponsor listed in their official titles, which, compared to the proud corporate legacy of Roady’s Truck Stops, makes them look a little silly.
3. Papa Johns. Interestingly, the Papajohns.com Bowl was the first game ever to be played in entirely cyberspace, with Cincinnati earning a victory over Southern Mississippi when, after achieving enough points for a power up in the 4th quarter, the Bearcats unleashed the devastating “Sword of Infinity.”
4. False – The name refers to the game’s host city, San Antonio. Valero Energy Corporation, an oil company that operates Diamond Shamrock here in Colorado, was the official sponsor.
5. Pep Boys – Autozone sponsored the Liberty bowl, R+L Carriers (a shipping company based in New Orleans) sponsored the New Orleans Bowl and Meineke sponsored the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Pep Boys may offer a wide selection of quality auto parts at low prices, but they don’t shill for college football. Yet.
6. John Hancock, although they used to sponsor the Sun Bowl, which is now sponsored by Brut, which is owned by Helen of Troy Inc., which makes, among other products, Vidal Sassoon.
7. Tostitos. Because the idea of Pringles sponsoring a major bowl game is, frankly, an insult.
8. Texas Tech and Virginia. Thanks to a last second field goal, the Red Raiders overcame a 14-point 4th quarter deficit to defeat the Cavaliers. It was easily the most thrilling Konica Minolta Gator Bowl ever played, in large part because it was the first Konica Minolta Gator Bowl ever played.
9. McDonald’s Bowl. Shockingly, McDonald’s has never had their name on a college bowl game, although Michael Jordan’s battle with Larry Bird for a Big Mac and Fries has become a thing of legend.
10. None of the above. After all, according to the items in the news section of the BCS website, “The BCS Works,” “BCS is better than a playoff,” and you “Don’t mess with the BCS.” The BCS’s corporate masters couldn’t agree more.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Westword's biggest stories.
- Update: Interstate 25 Reopens After Officer-Involved Crash
Mon., Aug. 31, 7:00pm
Thu., Sep. 3, 6:40pm
Thu., Sep. 3, 7:00pm
Thu., Sep. 3, 7:00pm
- Colorado's Top 17 Most Wanted Sex Offenders — and the Capture of No. 18
- Reader: All Murderers Should Get the Death Penalty No Matter Their Skin Color