Asked and Answered
Do you have what it takes to win a quiz night? Denver's three leading trivia companies have very different styles, as exemplified by both the questions they ask and the team names their players choose. Try these on for size:
Trivia Face Off
Favorite Team Names: Alpha Kenny Body (read it fast); Jen's Back, and Other Places to Relieve Yourself (after host Jen was away for a week); Short Bus; While You're Here Playing Trivia, My Friends Are Robbing Your House; Basinger and Baldwin: Proving That Mating a Bitch and an Ass Produces a Rude Little Pig
· What team was defeated to bring Denver its first major sports championship?
· Alex Trebek provided the voice of "Alan Quebec," a game-show host, for a story on what popular animated children's show?
· Name the largest cities in the U.S. by population that were founded in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
· What record, previously held by Daryle Lamonica, Joe Namath, Joe Montana and David Woodley, did Dan Marino of the Miami Dolphins break in Super Bowl XIX, in just his second NFL season?
· From what movie is the line "She took me below deck for 45 minutes. I have no bodily fluids left in me"?
· Name the three states bordering Colorado that are home to nuclear power plants.
· Finish the title of the Bob Dylan song from which a famous heavy-metal band took its name: "The Ballad of Frankie Lee and..."
Favorite Team Names: Michael Vick's Puppy Chow; Tee Ball Stand Pitches Perfect Game at Special Olympics; I'll Bring the Vaseline If You Bring the High Fives; It Burns When I Pee; Middle Name Jazz Hands; Spooning Leads to Forking
· Name the presidential dogs of Richard Nixon, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton.
· What is the only U.S. state with four consecutive consonants in its name?
· Besides Frankenberry and Count Chocula, name two of the three other cereals in the "Monster Series."
· In baseball, who is known as Mr. October? Who is known as Mr. November?
· In Don Henley's "Boys of Summer," what kind of bumpersticker is on the back of the Cadillac? In the Ataris' 2003 remake, what kind of bumpersticker is it?
· On Apollo 11, what was the first word spoken from the moon? Who was the second man to walk on the moon?
· On Sesame Street, the magician's name is the Amazing Mumford. What are his trademark magic words?
· In the film Airplane, besides smoking, McCroskey picked the wrong week to quit what three things?
Geeks Who Drink
Favorite Team Names: Fun Toy Ruined by Dead Kids; Ewok Reacharound; Control, Alt, Go Fuck Yourself; John Mark Karr Appreciation Society; Unitarian Jihad; Free Tibet With Purchase of 20 Oz. Soft Drink
· Johnny Cash recorded two albums live at prisons. One was Folsom; what was the other?
· "Big Baby Jesus" and "Dirt McGirt" were both aliases for what hip-hop artist?
· Apart from the great Richard Dawson, name the four men who have also hosted the American version of Family Feud.
· On the periodic table, W is the symbol for which element?
· The Holy Grail of baseball cards is the 1909 card of a famous Pittsburgh Pirate, worth over $1,000,000. Name the player.
· In which cities are Target, Procter & Gamble and Ben & Jerry's headquartered?
· Who played Luke Brower in the final season of Growing Pains?
· Name the three tallest fourteeners in Colorado.
· What was the first Steven Segal film to not have three words in the title?
Think you have all the answers? You'll have to go to here to find out! And if you find that irritating, I've got a seat saved for you right next to Backwards Ballcap on Team Burgeoning Homophobia.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Westword's biggest stories.
- Pot Driving Study Suggests Colorado's Stoned Driving Standard Way Too Low
University of Denver Pioneers Volleyball vs. University of Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks Women's VolleyballSun., Oct. 11, 2:00pm
Fri., Oct. 16, 12:00am
Fri., Oct. 16, 7:00pm
Fri., Oct. 16, 7:00pm
- Reader: I Hate People Who Ride Their F*cking Bike on the Road as If It's a Car
- Remembering Gary Lee Bomar, a Denver Music Scene Original Gone Way Too Soon