Boulder Fourmile Canyon fire update: Returned residents ordered out can come back again
The Fourmile Canyon fire near Boulder has been unpredictable. Note that only hours after authorities allowed some evacuated residents back into their homes yesterday, they were ordered out again due to high-wind concerns. Understandably, some never left -- but now they, and their neighbors, have been given the blessing to stay by Boulder County officials.
Still, government types warn that residents could be told to vacate again, depending on conditions. Details below:
Evacuation areas reopened as of 9 a.m. Friday
Boulder County, Colo. -- Earlier today, Boulder County officials announced the reopening of the following subdivisions and streets that were previously closed due to the Fourmile Canyon wildfire:
• Boulder Heights
• Pine Brook Hills
• Carriage Hills
• Olde Stage Road
• Lee Hill Drive
• Sunshine Canyon and Fourmile Canyon drives to Poorman Road (including Poorman Road)
• Gold Hill Road to Switzerland Trail (Switzerland Trail remains closed)
• Sugarloaf Road with limited access to the north (Mountain Meadows is open)
• Lefthand Canyon Drive with restricted access from the south.
Boulder County officials are requesting that residents do not park on the roadway and to drive carefully as fire apparatus are traveling to and from the active fire area.
PLEASE NOTE: Residents must stay on alert and be ready to re-evacuate immediately if conditions change. Residents of the area are asked to bring personal identification. Power will remain off in these areas.
The remaining evacuated areas remain highly volatile and therefore residents cannot return to their homes. Stay tuned to www.boulderoem.com and local media outlets for updated evacuation information.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Westword's biggest stories.
- Our Guide to Every Recreational Marijuana Store in Metro Denver
- Alex Landau on Why Failed Try to Recall Denver DA Mitch Morrissey Is Still a Win
- Boulder Cyclist Tom Danielson's Fiery Twitter Defense Against Doping Charge