Canada Day: Top 5 reasons to blame Canada -- and thank Canada
5. Drinking beer -- legally! -- at eighteen In the U.S., eighteen-year-olds can die for their country but not guzzle a brewski for it. For letting young adults act like them, Canada deserves a toast! With some Molson, not Miller Lite!
4. Mounties! They're heroic, they stand for all that is good and right and true, and they wear funny hats. What's not to like?
Here's Steve Nash (right), just hanging out with Q-Tip. No big deal.
3. Steve Nash Nash has transformed sharing the basketball with others, instead of hanging onto it like a life raft, into a work of art.
"Eveywhere you look, When you're lost out there and you're all alone, A light is waiting to carry you home, Everywhere you look. Everywhere you look."
2. Dave Coulier The Full House staple admits to being the inspiration for fellow Canuck Alanis Morissette's vitriolic "You Oughta Know." Did she go down on him in a theater? If so, how ironic!
5. Canadian bacon Come on: It's just ham. Not only that, but it's just ham too ashamed to admit it's just ham -- which is embarrassing even if we kinda like the John Candy movie named after it.
4. Howie Mandel It's not just that Mandel isn't funny, has never been funny, and will never be funny. On top of that, he's getting scarier-looking with each passing year. No deal!
3. Poutine Didn't think anyone could ruin French fries? Eat a serving a poutine, featuring cheese curds and brown gravy, and think again.
2. Celine Dion Dion is terrifying in part because every time you think she's gone away, she returns even scarier than before. Her heart will go on and on, but does her career have to?
1. Neil Young When Young is good, he's very, very good. And when he's not, he puts out albums like Trans, or Greendale, or Le Noise. Then again, at least his crappy records are weird and unusual, not boring. On second thought, we love bad Neil Young, too. Thanks, Canada!
More from our Follow That Story archive: "The Book of Mormon (and Harold Camping?) make for big Colorado night at Tony Awards."
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Westword's biggest stories.
- Larry Stevenson, Mayor's Ex-Best Man, Gets Wrist Slap After Bribery Charge
Fri., Sep. 4, 7:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:30pm
- Karla Ceballos Accused of Letting Her Baby Drown While She Cleaned Kitchen
- Ten Often Critical "You Know You're From Denver When" Reader Punchlines