Colorado Gives Day: Which nonprofits raised the most money?
Colorado Gives Day, the 24-hour online charity blitz that won Best Philanthropic Endeavor in our 2011 Best of Denver contest, raised a total of $12.7 million for 928 local nonprofits on December 6 and 7 of this year. So which nonprofits garnered the most donations?
The Arvada-based Community First Foundation, which hosts the give-a-thon through its website GivingFirst.org, provided Westword with a list of the top five dollar-getters.
5. The Action Center: 454 donations, $174,092 raised Mission: To provide an immediate response to basic human needs and promote pathways to self-sufficiency for Jefferson County residents and the homeless.
4. Food Bank of the Rockies: 1,015 donations, $198,865 raised Mission: Food Bank of the Rockies provides food supplies to more than 1,100 hunger-relief programs across Colorado and Wyoming.
3. Denver Rescue Mission: 1,143 donations, $222,044 raised Mission: The Denver Rescue Mission is changing lives in the name of Christ by meeting people at their physical and spiritual points of need, with the goal of returning them to society as productive, self-sufficient citizens.
2. Advocates for Children: 156 donations, $245,090 raised Mission: Speaking up for abused and neglected children through Court Appointed Special Advocates: CASA volunteers.
1. Tennyson Center for Children: 185 donations, $691,267 raised Mission: Tennyson Center for Children serves children, youth and their families to overcome a variety of life crises, including abuse and neglect. Our community of professionals and advocates are dedicated to providing competent and caring treatment and education, both at our campus and within the community.
More from our Follow That Story archives: "B-cycle clocks 202,731 rides in 2011, nearly doubling last year's numbers."
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.