Debate 2012: Fifty reasons debate visitors should wish they live in Denver
The first presidential debate at the University of Denver is mere hours away, and media and visitors are flooding into town for the big event. But there are plenty of reasons Denver should be in the spotlight the other 364 days per year.
Fifty, at least.
Which is why we've brushed off, spruced up and updated (a little) our 2010 list "50 reasons we're glad we live in Denver and not the United States." It's a reminder that the Mile High City is a great place whether the eyes of the nation are on us or not. Count down the top fifty below.
50. What other city has a blue, badass horse of the apocalypse greeting people at the airport...
49. ...Which just happens to have inspired conspiracy theories even the-world-is-going-to-end-in-2012 believers probably think are twisted?
48. Dive bars galore.
47. Even terrorists who live here would rather attack somewhere else...
46. We're only a short drive away from historic gambling towns -- where you can still gamble.
45. The town hero isn't ready to let the football team go down without a fight.
43. The shit-stompin' National Western Stock Show and Rodeo!
42. Pimped-out pedicabs!
41. If Lindsay Lohan violates her parole, we know it before anyone.
40. Every day is like the Great American Beer Festival.
39. Home of Tom Cat condoms.
Continue for more of the fifty reasons debate visitors should wish they live in Denver year round.Next Page
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Westword's biggest stories.