Digital TV switchover: Our long national nightmare is almost over -- or about to begin
If it seems that we've been hearing about today's transition from analog broadcasting to the digital kind for ages, it's only because it's true. The warnings about the switch's final phase have been coming for month after month after month, and yet a reported 1.75 million American TV viewers aren't ready for it, including more than 25,000 in the Denver area.
Of course, only a little more than half of Denver's TV stations -- channels 2, 4, 6, 31, 50 and 59 -- are taking the plunge today. Channels 7, 9, 12 and 20 have already done so without succumbing to the apocalypse. But efforts to reach those TV watchers who haven't yet taken action to upgrade (as opposed to those in areas where they can't possibly get a usable signal) have ramped up as the week went on. For instance, Channel 31 recently ran a half-hour infomercial-style program about what to do that had all the entertainment value of DVD instruction manuals. And Channel 12, which has been all-digital since early this year due to wind damage sustained by its analog antenna, has issued a new press release revealing, among other things, that it will continue to broadcast in analog to folks in Colorado Springs and Pueblo, at least for now. When Barack Obama finds out about this, he's gonna be pissed.
Read the Channel 12 release by clicking "Continue."
For release: June 12, 2009
Digital KBDI is now at full power in Metro Denver, Northern Front Range and most of Eastern Colorado!
DENVER - June 12, 2009 -- If you have cable, DISH Network or DirecTV, all adjustments have been taken care of for you.
If you watch TV with an over-the-air antenna in the Denver metro, the Northern Front Range, and most of Eastern Colorado you will need to re-scan your digital TV tuner or converter. (Our digital signal has moved from UHF Channel 38 to our new permanent frequency on VHF Channel 13; your on-screen program guide will continue to display our signal as 12.1, 12.2 and 12.3 once you have acquired the new frequency.)
If you live in the Colorado Springs/Pueblo area or in Boulder... Our analog signal will continue to be available in the Colorado Springs/Pueblo area on channel 32 and in Boulder on channel 11. We plan to bring our full digital service to our channel 32 viewers by mid- to late-summer and to our Channel 11 viewers by late fall.
If you aren't receiving the Channel 12 signal (your screen is black or blue or you get a no signal or weak signal message), we recommend the following tips....
• Check all of your connections.
• Even if you have received a good channel 12 signal in the past it may be necessary to adjust or upgrade your antenna. An adjustment of just a few degrees can make a big difference. Our main transmitter is located on Squaw Mountain, just southwest of Evergreen. Most other stations are on Lookout Mountain near Golden.
If you are receiving the Channel 12 signal, but it pixelates or has other problems, try these troubleshooting tips....
• Adjust your antenna. Even a small shift of a few degrees can make a big difference.
• Make sure your antenna connectors are good. Sometimes it's necessary to disconnect and re-reconnect both ends of the cable to remove oxidation. This is especially true for outdoor and attic antennas.
If you need additional assistance in troubleshooting reception problems for channel 12, please call the station with questions at 303-296-1212. KBDI staff will be answering phones 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, June 13, Sunday, June 14, and during regular office hours Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Westword's biggest stories.
- Six Illegal Pot Grows Raided, 32 Busted in "Wave of Illicit Marijuana Cultivation"
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:05pm
Sun., Oct. 11, 12:00pm
University of Denver Pioneers Volleyball vs. University of Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks Women's VolleyballSun., Oct. 11, 2:00pm
- Amberay Snyder: Child Abuse Count for Leaving Boys With Drinking Dad
- Marijuana Strain Review: Tangerine Haze at Herban Medicinals