Erick Perez, seven others charged in case of juvenile set on fire at party on Valentine's Day
Big pics below.
A lot of us have suffered through rough starts to Valentine's Day over the years -- but an unnamed juvenile's experiences early on February 14 puts bad romance in perspective.
Erick Perez, twenty, and seven others, many of them teenagers, face a potpourri of charges related to allegedly setting the fourteen-year-old victim on fire at a party.
Granted, an arrest affidavit obtained by 9News is filled with conflicting stories about the teen, who was found near the intersection of Federal and Alameda at around 3:30 a.m. on the 14th. Perez claimed that the boy poured lighter fluid on himself and one of the other party goers lit him ablaze -- something he insisted he was too drunk to stop. Another account suggests that Damian Sibayan, eighteen, and Cody Cummings, nineteen, poured the flammable liquid and Perez tried to start the blaze, but his lighter didn't work -- so Sibayan did the deed. Still another argues that the boy doused himself and asked to be lit up.
Judging by the library worth of books thrown in the suspects' direction, Denver Police Department personnel clearly believe a lot of people behaved very, very badly. And even though it's up to the Denver District Attorney's Office to decide on formal charges, that's a pretty safe best.
Denver Outlaws / Major League Lacrosse All Star Game
TicketsSat., Dec. 29, 6:00pm
Look below to see the DPD's account, followed by full-size mug shots of all the suspects:
Denver Police Department release:
Denver Police have arrested eight males on outstanding felony warrants in connection with an aggravated assault and arson case that occurred on February 14, 2011. At about 3:30 a.m. Denver Police received a call reporting a juvenile male acting erratic, possibly in need of medical attention in the area of Federal Boulevard and Alameda Avenue. The juvenile was located and was transported to Children's Hospital for treatment of burns to his upper body. Through further investigation it was discovered that the juvenile had been at a party in the 500 block of South Decatur Street where it is believed he received the burns caused by other individuals at the party.
Denver Police have arrested the following suspects for investigation of the listed crimes:
• Erick Perez (11-27-90) -- Warrant for Attempt 2nd Degree Murder (F3), Child Abuse x2 (F3), Contributing to the Delinquency of a minor (F4), Attempt to Influence a Public Servant (F4), Intimidating a Witness/Victim x2 (F4)
• Damian Sibayan (9-21-92) -- Warrant for Attempt 2nd Degree Murder (F3), Child Abuse x2 (F3)
• Cody Cummings (2-18-92) -- Warrant for Attempt 2nd Degree Murder (F3), Child Abuse x2 (F3), Contributing to the Delinquency of a minor (F4), Intimidating a Witness/Victim (F4), Child Abuse (M1)
• David Ingram (11-21-91) -- Warrant for Attempt 2nd Degree Murder (F3), Child Abuse x2 (F3), Contributing to the Delinquency of a minor (F4), Tampering with Physical Evidence (F6)
• Michael Bellefeuille (6-17-89) -- Child Abuse (F3), Contributing to the Delinquency of a minor (F4), Tampering with a Witness or Victim(F4)
• Joshua Baffo (4-18-91) -- Child Abuse (F3), Child Abuse (M1)
• Robert Freeman (8-5-91) -- Child Abuse (F3)
• Robert Rieneau (12-23-90) At Large -- Child Abuse (F3)
The suspects have all been taken into custody. These cases will be presented to the Denver District Attorney for consideration of formal charges.
More from our Colorado Crimes archive: "Michelle Aleman's alleged weapon of choice in sister stabbing? A barbecue fork."
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.