Five ways to improve Colorado cantaloupes' image
Colorado's cantaloupes have gotten a bad rap lately -- and perhaps rightfully so. A listeria outbreak traced to melons from Jensen Farms in Holly has been linked to 29 deaths. But not all of the state's cantaloupes are to blame -- a point Colorado Agriculture Commissioner John Salazar hopes to make with a project to boost confidence in the vilified fruits, according to The Pueblo Chieftan. Here, we offer five ripe (tee-hee) suggestions.
5. Change its name. The cantaloupe has several alter egos, including the mushmelon, the rockmelon and the muskmelon. All of them are pretty gross (mushmelon? seriously?), but at least they're not cantaloupe.
4. Adopt a catchy slogan. Fact: The flesh (ew) of cantaloupes is orange. Fact: Jack in the Box gives people e.Coli. Catchy slogan: "Orange you glad we're not Jack in the Box?"
3. Subliminal marketing. Cut a deal with King Soopers to repeatedly play Us3's 1993 jazz-rap hit "Cantaloop" in the produce section. If it doesn't inspire people to buy cantaloupes, it'll at least inspire them to "get funky." So, win-win.
Colorado Rockies vs. San Francisco Giants
TicketsMon., Sep. 4, 1:10pm
Colorado Rockies vs. San Diego Padres
TicketsFri., Sep. 15, 6:40pm
Colorado Rockies vs. Miami Marlins
TicketsMon., Sep. 25, 6:40pm
Colorado Rockies vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
TicketsFri., Sep. 29, 6:10pm
Denver Outlaws / Major League Lacrosse All Star Game
TicketsSat., Dec. 29, 6:00pm
2. Make cantaloupes funny again. Were cantaloupes ever funny? Doesn't matter. This plan will still work: Infiltrate the ranks of Laffy Taffy joke writers, get them drunk and convince them it'd be like, so awesome to make every joke on the wrappers, "Why didn't the melons get married? Because they cantaloupe!"
1. Make "cantaloupe" easier to spell. How about just "cantelope"? After all, nobody likes things they can't spell. See: Connecticut, Wednesday and hors d'oeuvres. Okay, maybe not hors d'oeuvres. They're delicious. But definitely Connecticut.
More from our Follow That Story archives: "Med. marijuana patient red card wait: 60 days & counting even though check cashed a month ago."
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.