George Hickenlooper cause of death: Mixed drug use/sleep apnea combo took director's life
The death of director George Hickenlooper, governor-elect John Hickenlooper's cousin, on the eve of the Starz Denver Film Festival premiere of his new movie, Casino Jack, was an accident caused by mixed prescription drug use and alcohol complicated by sleep apnea, according to Denver's medical examiner.
Here's the coroner's office release:
The cause of death is mixed drug (ethanol and oxymorphone) intoxication. These substances had central nervous system and respiratory depressant effects. Autopsy revealed a moderately enlarged heart (460 grams). The decedent had a history of probable sleep apnea. Cardiomegaly and probable sleep apnea are significant contributing factors to death. The manner of death is accident.
This year's film festival was dedicated to George Hickenlooper's memory. Casino Jack, starring Kevin Spacey, is expected to open at theaters on December 17. Here's the trailer:
More from our Television & Film archive: "George Hickenlooper: Despite his death, series about cousin John Hickenlooper moves forward."
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Senate Committee Approves Medical Marijuana for Veterans
- Reader: Denver Is Full of Smokers and Beta Males Who Refuse to Grow Up
- Denver Health To Limit Patients Passively Enrolled In Its Medicaid Plan